The institute is known as a leading Victorian provider of Technical and Further Education (TAFE) courses, vocational training and international degrees. It has campuses in Melbourne, Box Hill, and Lilydale. The institute was formed from 2 local technical schools named Box Hill Technical School for Girls and Women and Box Hill Technical School for Boys. It inaugurated its Lilydale Lakeside campus in 2016 for the students in the outer east. The institute has won the Australian Training Awards. It now provides 179 courses and the Centre of Adult Educations 1190 short courses.
- The Institute offers a placement rate of 85% to students with employment opportunities within 6 months of completing the study.
- Industry partners include a number of companies where students are placed which are Agribio, Benalla Health, Epworth, Healthscope, Music Victoria, Uniting Agewell and many others.
- It offers internationally recognized training programs that have been awarded as the 2016 Australian Large Training Provider of the Year.
|Institution type||Higher education and Vocational training|
|Academic calendar||Semester wise|
|Employment rates (among graduates)||77.7%|
|Employment rates (among apprentices and trainees)||81.2%|
|Financial aid||Scholarship/ student loans|
Box Hill Institute Programs and Campus
- The types of courses offered by the institute include apprenticeships, postgraduate, pre-accredited courses, pre-apprenticeships, short courses, TAFE courses, traineeships, undergraduate, Victorian Certificate of Education(VCE) and Victorian Certificate of Applied Learning (VCAL), VET Delivered to Secondary Schools(VETDSS).
- These courses include many subject areas to cater to the interests of all its students starting from business, music, animation, printing, graphic designing, web developer.
Campuses and Residential facilities
The Elgar campus of the Box Hill Institute has a campus with many facilities that help in building practical knowledge of the subject. The facilities include:
- Advanced Welder Training Centre developed in collaboration with Weld Australia. It is a center for the students learning the welding program.
- Automotive Workshop- real workplace for the apprentice students.
- The biosecurity center is designed to provide the latest technology and resources and work towards the protection of food supply, native plants, and animals.
- Integrated Technology Hub is designed to provide learning space for technological works related to air conditioners, refrigerators, mechanical plumbing, etc.
- International applicants can fill an Accommodation Register Form for knowing details of the accommodation. The student life team gets in contact with the applicants.
Box Hill Institute Application Process
Application: International applicants can apply online through Institute website or through an authorized agent of the Institute in their home country. The application fees for online application is 50 AUD.
Application Deadline: Applications are invited on a rolling basis.
Pre-requisites Any applicant submitting applications to the Box Hill Institute is required to be 18 years or above. The requirements for admission to the Box Hill Institute depend upon the course. Certain basic requirements pertaining to all courses and required before submission of application are as follows:
- Academic Requirements – Higher secondary study certificate equivalent to Australian Year 12. The institute provides some certificate courses that can be entered after the completion of class 10 or 11.
- Additional requirements – The above mentioned 2 requirements are common to all the courses while some courses require specific skills and documents. These requirements are a portfolio of designs for Fashion, Design and Art courses; audition DVD for Creative Industries; computer literacy must be required for almost all courses for research related work.
English proficiency test scores: The test scores of English proficiency examinations have to be submitted to the institute along with the application. The minimum required test scores are as follows:
|Course type||IELTS||TOEFL-IBT||Pearson Test (PTE)||Cambridge English Advanced (CAE)|
|Certificate/ Diploma and Advanced Diploma courses||5.5||71||46 (with no communicative skill score less than 42)||162-168|
|Associate Degree and Bachelor Degree courses||6.0 (no band less than 5.5)||79||54 (with no communicative skill score less than 50)||169-175|
|Graduate Diploma and Master Degree courses||6.5 (no band score less than 6.0)||90||61 (with no communicative skill score less than 58)||176-184|
|Bachelor of Early Childhood education||7.0 (no band score less than 7.0)||94||65 (with no communicative skill score less than 65)||185-190|
|Diploma of Nursing||7.0 (no band score less than 7.0)||94||65 (with no communicative skill score less than 65)||Not accepted|
Box Hill Institute Cost of Attendance
Cost of attendance for international applicant includes various other costs like accommodation, Books & material, transport, etc apart from the tuition fee.
Cost and expenses
|Type of Expense||Amount|
|Tuition fees||8,365 to 99,550|
|Service and amenity fees||$155|
|Core skills support fee||$75|
Scholarships: The Institute does not offer any scholarship to international students.
Box Hill Institute enrolls more than 40,000 students every year. International students constitute a large part of the student force every year. Shortlisted students are called for an interview with the department faculty.
Presently, more than 500 programs are taught at Box Hill Institute. The institute offers Certificate, Diploma, Bachelors, Graduate Diploma and Master Courses to choose from a wide range of subject areas.
- Admissions at Box Hill Institute take place 4 times a year.
- The academic calendar for the institute is semester-based.
|Admission Portal||Online or by Mail|
|Tests Accepted||IELTS, TOEFL, PTE, OET, CAE|
|Intake Seasons||January and July|
|Work Experience||Required for matured students|
|Method Of Payment||Cash, Credit Card And Check|
|Visa Application Fee||620 AUS$|
Box Hill Institute Intake Dates
The academic year at Box Hill is divided into 2 semesters: January to June (Semester 1) and July to December (semester 2). Each semester is divided into two terms. All courses begin in January, although some have July intake too.
International students are advised to apply three months prior to course commencement as the visa processing may take 60-70 days. The intake dates for sessions beginning in 2020 are given in the table below:
|Entry Term||Intake Dates|
|Term 1||Jan 23- Feb 28;|
Feb 27- April 3
|Term 2||April 16- May 22;|
May 21- June 26
|Term 3||July 9- Aug 14;|
Aug 13- Sep 18
|Term 4||Oct 1- Nov 6;|
Nov 5- Dec 11
Box Hill Institute International Admissions
International students have to meet specific academic and English language requirements. Additionally, the applicants have to apply and meet certain visa requirements too.
English Language Proficiency for International Students
Evidence of proficiency in the English language is significant for applicants belonging to non-English speaking countries. For this, the institute accepts TOEFL, IELTS, PTE, and CAE scores.
The minimum score requirements set by Box Hill Institute are mentioned in the table below:
|Certificate, Diploma And Advanced Diploma Courses||5.5||71||46||162 – 168||Score D|
|Associate Degree And Bachelor Degree Courses||6.0||79||54||169 - 175||Score C|
|Graduate Diploma And Master Degree Courses||6.5||90||61||176 - 184||Score C|
|Bachelor Of Early Childhood Education||7.0||94||65||185 - 190||Score B|
|Diploma of Nursing||7.0||94||65||-||Score B|
Visa Information for International Students
To Study in Australia, the applicant has to apply for an Australian student visa, that is, Subclass 500. The visa will allow the student to stay for up to 5 years in line with the enrolment and will have to incur the cost of 620 AUD. The processing time varies from 60-70 days. The requirements to apply for a student visa are as follows:
- Evidence of identity: the applicant must attach a copy of their passport and also include a certified copy of their birth certificate/national identity card/driver’s license.
- Evidence of intended study: the applicant has to provide Confirmation of Enrolment (C o E) or Letter of Offer from the institution to apply for a student visa.
- Health insurance: the applicant must provide evidence of adequate health insurance from Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)
- English language requirements: IELTS – 5.5 or TOEFL (IBT) – 46 or CAE – 162 or PTE – 42 or OET – B for each component
- Evidence of enough money: the applicant has to prove that they have enough money to maintain the basic standard of living in Australia with a minimum bank balance of 60,000 AUS$ at the time of visa application. (only if asked for)
Box Hill Institute Undergraduate Admissions
To the UG students, Box Hill Institute offers a wide range of Bachelors, certificate III & IV, and Diploma programs. The admission requirements are similar for a majority of the programs.
Application Portal: Online or by Mail
Application Fee: N/A
- Certificate III and/or IV: Completion of Year 10 and/or 11 or equivalent in the related field.
- Associate Degree, Diploma & Bachelor Degree: Completion of Year 12 or Certificate III or IV or equivalent in the related field.
- Bachelor Degree: Completion of Year 12 and/or Diploma in the related field
- Evidence of proficiency in the English language.
- Portfolio and Phone interview and completion of Year 11 or equivalent (Diploma in Graphic Design)
Box Hill Insitute Graduate Admissions
At the graduate level, the institute offers 6 advanced diploma courses in graphic design, building design, music, etc. Apart from this, it offers 1 masters degree program- Master of Music.
Application Portal: Online or Mail
Application Fee: N/A
- Year 12 or international equivalent
- Proficiency in the English language
Mature students who wish to study at Box Hill are required to show the appropriate qualification along with work experience in the related field. The applicant is advised to read the visa guidelines carefully before applying for a program and comply with the necessary conditions. To get accepted for a program, one has to perform well in the interview.