Udgir is a historical place where the Maratha army had approached towards the historical ‘Panipat war’ after winning the battle over the Nizam of Hyderabad. Here, a well constructed terrestrial fort is still showing the signs of memorable history. The area is marked by the hilly tracks of Balaghat ranges….
Being enriched by the limited but assured rainfall and rich grassland pastures, the outskirts of Udgir are well known for the rearing of Red Kandhari cattle, Osmanabadi goats and Deccani sheep. These breeds are known for adaptability to the semi-arid conditions and scarcities of drought prone profile of this area as well as are known for their resistance
COLLEGE OF VETERINARY AND ANIMAL SCIENCES, UDGIR was established in 1987 vide Govt. Resolution No. MKV-1086/CR-128-A dated 17th September, 1987, under Marathwada Agricultural University, Parbhani.
Alongwith its historical background, The place is well known as the home tract of renowned Deoni cattle & Marathwadi buffalo breeds and the outskirts are known for Red Kandhari, Osmanabadi goats and Deccani sheep.
Dr. Shri Munshi Abdul Rehman, the then Director of Animal Husbandry Department established Deoni Cattle Breeding Farm at Udgir in the year 1952 under the aegies of State Government, Hyderabad. Later, this farm was under the control of Department of Animal Husbandry, Government of Maharashtra. Since 1987 the Farm was transferred to COVAS, Udgir under Marathwada Agricultural University, Parbhani. Total available land is 236.06 Ha. [Udgir Farm] & 93.23 Ha. [Sunegaon Farm].
Over the years the college has developed its infrastructure, with three phase building and well equipped laboratories in various departments and has adopted VCI pattern of veterinary education. The campus is located about 3.5 kms from the city, but well connected. The college campus is further enriched by establishment of UNIVERSITY SUB-CENTRE mainly for the research and extension over local and regional breeds.