Situated in Queensland on the East coast of Australia, Griffith is a public research university. Initially started in 1971, it is still a comparatively young university that opened its doors for the first time with 451 students in 1975. Initially started with one campus in Nathan, the university now has expanded to five campuses across three cities: Gold Coast campus, Logan Campus, Nathan Campus, Mount Gravatt Campus, and the South Bank Campus. Across these schools around 200 degrees are available at undergraduate, postgraduate and Ph.D. level
The university has around 120 student clubs and societies available including the Pride society, the gamer's club, the racing team, the acapella society, and the Griffith Government and International Relations Society.
The study programs at Griffith University are structured across four academic wings such as arts, education and law, business, health, and science which are further divided into disciplines.
Placed in the top 2% of universities worldwide, Griffith ranks highly as a young university. A few mentionable rankings are as follows:
According to Times Higher Educations -
- It is ranked #201–#250 World University Rankings
- Ranked 35th in the 2019 Young University Rankings
According to 2020 QS World University Top 50 Under 50 Rankings it has been placed at #37
According to Shanghai Rankings-
- Griffith stands at #4 in Nursing
- Ranked at 29th in Law Studies
|Type of University||Public|
|Year of Establishment||1971|
|Average Cost of Attendance||25,000 USD - 35,000 USD|
|Annual Acceptance Rate (Estimated)||50%|
|The student to Faculty Ratio||12:1|
|Number of Campuses||5|
|Mode of Program||Full time/Part-time/Online|
Where to Apply: Interested students who are seeking to get admission to the Griffith University can go to their official application portal or apply through one of their registered recruitment agents or providers.
When to Apply:
|Trimester 1||January 31|
|Trimester 2||June 3|
|Trimester 3||September 30|
Please note: International candidates must allow enough time for their visa application to be processed.
Application Fee: All applicants are charged with a non-refundable application fee of 34.15 USD
How to Apply: Since some courses have higher entry requirements or specific prerequisites such as medical checks or professional work experience, search for your degree to view the degree-specific requirements.
UG aspirants are required to have an overall grade average of 65% in the best 4 subjects.
However, English language requirements will stay the same:
|TOEFL (IBT)||79, with no sub-score<19|
|PTE||58 with no score less than 50|
|ISLPR||Not less than 3+ in each skill|
There are a wide variety of programs offered at Griffith University (more than 200-degree courses) under 10 areas of study. A few of the popular courses at Griffith University include - dentistry, medicine, law, physiotherapy, occupational therapy, nursing, public health, and teaching.
Moreover, in the past, Griffith has received more Australian Awards for University Teaching than any other university, such as Australian University Teacher of the Year Awards, Teaching Excellence Awards and many more.
Griffith University’s campuses are unique for their nature-centric settings within urban environments.
The university has its campuses situated in Mt. Gravatt, Gold Coast, Logan, Nathan, and South Bank, giving students a choice between studying in the capital of Queensland or in a more quiet ambiance.
- Mt. Gravatt Campus - Opened in 1997, it is located on the edge of Toohey Forest and is the original site of the Griffith College.
- Gold Coast Campus - Close to the famous golden beaches of Surfers Paradise, the campus provides courses like - Health Sciences, Criminal Justice, Arts, and Design.
- Logan Campus - Home to nearly 2500 students, it is based in Queensland’s third-largest city. Logan’s key study areas include - Business, Education and, Community Health
- Nathan Campus - Known as the inaugural campus which opened its gates in 1975 for the first time with 451 students, now consists of 13,000 students and offers degree programs in business, engineering, and information technology.
- South Bank Campus - Placed in Brisbane’s cultural heart, the South Bank Campus is known for its excellence in the creative and performing arts and is a few minutes’ walks to the Queensland Art Gallery, the Gallery of Modern Art, and the Brisbane Convention Centre.
Finding your kind of accommodation as an international student can be a tiresome process. Luckily, Griffith offers a wide variety of rooms to choose from, so that getting a room nearby your college campus is the last thing you need to worry about. Types of accommodation provided at Griffith university include:
- On-campus rooms: as an on-campus student, you can get access to lectures, labs, libraries, and other campus facilities quite easily; all while living in a pleasant scenic view. All on-campus residents are also provided with a 24-hour helpline to ensure that they always have someone to talk to.
- Homestay: Homestays are an effective way to help international students immerse themselves in Australian culture and improve their English, while the host families make friends from all around the world and gain interesting insights into other cultures. Homestay accommodation is available for all 5 campuses.
- Off-campus rooms: off-campus accommodation or the Preferred Partnerships Program provides accommodation to international students across Griffith’s 5 campuses between Brisbane and the Gold Coast. Room providers are inspected by University staff for location, price, and other facilities such as communal spaces and car parking and most importantly safety. Interested candidates may apply through the Griffith University accommodation website.
Griffith University Tuition and Living Expenses
The total cost of attendance at Griffith University would vary according to the course you opt for. Total fees for a few of the popular course at Griffith University are mentioned below in a tabulated format:
|Course name||Tuition and Fees (USD)||Room and Board (USD)||Approximate Total (USD)|
|Bachelor of Biomedical Science||22,473 - 22,818||4,191||26,664 - 27,009|
|Bachelor of Laws||20,398||4,191||24,589|
|Bachelor of Occupational Therapy||22,818 - 23,510||4,191||27,009 - 27,701|
|Bachelor of Information Technology||21,436||4,191||25,627|
|Bachelor of Nursing||21,781||4,191||25,972|
Similarly, course fees for a few popular graduate programs are as follows:
|Course Name||Tuition and Fees (USD)||Room and Board (USD)||Approximate Total (USD)|
|Doctor of Medicine||47,713||7,387||55,100|
|Master of Business Administration||27,313||7,387||34,700|
|Master of Biotechnology||22,819||7,387||30,206|
|Master of Professional Engineering||24,894||7,387||32,281|
|Master of Finance||21,781||7,387||29,168|
The university supports the international student population by offering a variety of scholarships to UG, PG, and research degree aspirants. Scholarships are designed to help remarkable students with impeccable academic achievements who have the potential to make a positive contribution to the Griffith society. Below mentioned are a few of the scholarships available for international students:
|Name of the Scholarship||Amount Awarded||Application Needed|
|Griffith International Distinction Scholarships||4,098 USD||No|
|Griffith Remarkable Scholarships||50% of tuition fees||Yes|
|International Student Excellence Scholarship||25% of tuition fees||Yes|
|International Overseas Student School Leaver Scholarship||10% of tuition fees||No|
|International Student Post-Graduate Scholarship||10% of tuition fees||No|
Work While you Study
As an international student with a current student visa, you cannot undertake work until you have started your course in Australia. Students are allowed to work part-time up to 40 hours per fortnight during the teaching period and unrestricted hours during any scheduled course break.
Moreover, the Australian Government allows students who are enrolled in masters by research or doctorate program to work unlimited hours with a limitation to undertake only limited paid employment.
Please note - you will need to apply for a Tax File Number and Tax Returns before you begin working in Australia.
Griffith University offers more than 2500 undergraduate and postgraduate courses and over 200 degrees; apart from its various research-based studies, online courses and professional courses. To apply in time students should keep these factors in mind-
- Application months- International students should apply to any of the undergraduate or graduate programs by January (1st trimester), June (2nd trimester), September (3rd trimester).
- Application method- Students can register and apply through the Griffith University online admission system.
- Other academic and English language exams- Students must apply for their visa a few months before the session begins and they must have the required IELTS, TOEFL, PTE or ISLPR score.
|Application fee (non-refundable)||50 AUD|
|Mode of payment||Telegraphic Transfer (TT), Bank Draft/Cheque, Credit Card|
|Academic calendar||Trimester system|
|Intake months||January/June/ September|
|Work experience||For Music/Visual Arts program|
|Financial assistance||Scholarships/grants/research funding/employment integration|
Griffith University Admission Deadlines
Students ought to be mindful of the following dates in order to facilitate a timely admission process. These are the general admission deadlines for Griffith university.
|Undergraduate and Postgraduate students|
|Winter||By 31st January|
|Summer||By 1st June|
|Fall||By 30th September|
Griffith University Undergraduate Admission
Applicants need to fulfill these minimum admission requirements for admission to Griffith University.
- Academic certificates must be translated into English.
- English Language entrance exam results
- Work experience letters or certificates (applicable for students applying for music or visual arts degree)
- Medical certificate
- Sponsored students may include documents wherein they specify their sponsor, the program chosen, any fee included and duration.
Griffith University SAT/ACT Scores
Students must have a GPA of 3.5 on average and have the required score in any of these requisite qualifying exams/academic records in order to be considered for admission to Griffith University-
|Exams Accepted||Average score needed|
Griffith University English Proficiency Test Scores
Students are advised to take any of the following English Language Tests and achieve the minimum score listed in order to establish their efficiency in understanding and communicating in the language and to safeguard a seat at the university-
|English Proficiency Test||Minimum Score|
|ISLPR||3+ in each of reading, writing and listening|
Visa and additional information
To acquire a student visa, which is a mandatory procedure, in order to reside in Australia; students may refer to the following steps-
- Students should get a visa from the embassy of Australia, Consulate or High Commission located in their homeland.
- To apply, these statements shall be needed-
- The purpose of visiting Australia, i.e. study
- Qualifying the English language requirements needed for reception of Visa
- You shall be deemed responsible for your wellbeing and ease of access to funds/fee required to study
- You have a student medical insurance at hand
Documents required to apply for a Visa
While applying for Visa studies are expected to submit the following documents-
- Official letter
- Copy of passport
- Proof of Financial Sufficiency Statement
- GTE statement/GS status
Griffith University Graduate Admissions
Griffith University has over 200 degrees available in the fields of Management, Science, IT, Health Care, Education, Social and Psychological Science, Performing Arts and Creative Arts. The general application procedure is the same for both programs-
Where to apply- Griffith University Online Application Page
Application fee- 50 AUD
- Academic scores and certificates
- English Language Test results
- Passport details
- Work experience Portfolio/Audition for( Visual Arts and Music only)
The admission requirements are similar for all the courses while the deadlines change. Below is a table reflecting an overview of some of the Undergraduate/Graduate courses offered by Griffith University-
|BA Construction Management (Honours)||Winter: 31st January|
Summer: 1st June
|BA Asian Studies|
|BA Criminology and Criminal Justice|
|MA in Educational Studies|
|MA Electronic and Sport Engineering||Winter: 1st January|
No summer sessions
|MA Safety Leadership||Winter: 1st January|
No summer sessions
|MA Visual Arts||Winter: 31st January|
Summer: 1st June
Griffith University is a diverse place, deemed amongst one of the bests of Higher Education providing universities. Students are advised to follow the academic timetable updated on the website to get admitted without delays and obstructions. Visa and online application dates should be kept in mind and pre-application counseling can be taken via university services.