James Cook University is a Public University, founded in the year 1961. The university ranked at #369(according to qs world rankings) and counted among the top 2% universities worldwide. It has 21000+ students including over 5000 international students from more than 108 countries. Globally, it has established research connections with more than 124 countries.
The University’s main fields of research include marine sciences, biodiversity, sustainable management of tropical ecosystems, genetics and genomics, tropical health care, tourism and engineering.
James Cook University has accomplished 5-star ratings in social equity, student-teacher ratio, learner engagement and employability of its students. Furthermore, there are over 300 programs available to international students interested in studying at this university.
JCU is affiliated to IRU(Innovative Research Universities), which is a network of 7 comprehensive universities in Australia.
James Cook University Highlights
|University Type||Public University|
|Campus Setting||Suburban and Regional|
|No. of Campuses||3|
|No. of Residence Halls||5 (in Townsville)|
1 (in Crains)
|Graduate Job Rate||76.4%|
|Official Website||James Cook University|
|Intake Type||Semester wise|
|Mode of Program||Full time and online|
James Cook University Programs, Campus and Residence
- The university offers UG, PG, online, short term, research degrees and diploma courses.
- James Cook University offers over 25 study areas for students to explore and excel in. The courses available include Arts & Social Sciences, Engineering, Medicine, Law, Speed Pathology, Veterinary Science and Occupational therapy etc.
- The Marine and Freshwater biology course at JCU has been ranked as #1 worldwide by the CWUR(Centre for World University Rankings).
- There are 2 main campuses in Australia, located in the tropical cities of Crains and Townsville. The third major campus is located in the international city of Singapore. Apart from these, the university has study centres located in remote locations for the benefit of students in these areas.
- The campuses in Townsville and Crains offer a total of 6 halls for on-campus accommodation. The university offers assistance to those seeking accommodation for a short stay(less than a month).
Students need to apply online for accommodation. The fees required to make an application for on-campus accommodation is $55. There are no application deadlines. Applications for the next year(2020) will be accepted from early August
James Cook University Application Process
- Where to Apply: Applications can be made online through the official university website.
- Application Deadlines: January 5 for Semester 1(UG & PG) and June 5 for Semester 2(UG&PG)
- General Requirements: Official academic transcripts, official programme completion certificate, English language Scores.
- Additional Requirements: Birth certificate, passport copy, Insurance documentation, Valid student Visa.
- English Proficiency Test: Minimum English test scores required for admission are given below:
|English proficiency tests||Desired Score|
|Internet-based TOEFL (iBT)||56-94|
|Pearson PTE Academic||46-65|
The English proficiency score required to apply for each course varies between the scores provided above. Applicants can determine the score required, from the entry requirements of the specific course selected. If the applicant has successfully completed two years of full-time study in which the language of instruction and assessment was English, this may also satisfy the English requirement. If the applicant’s English language proficiency test score does not meet the requirements of entry into his/her chosen course, then there are other options available too.
Cost of Attendance
|Programmes||One Year Tuition (AUD)|
|Bachelor of Laws||31,200|
|Bachelor of Medicine||55,960|
|Bachelor of Engineering||35,800|
Weekly on-campus accommodation cost:
|Fully-catered hall||296-435 AUD|
|Application fee(one-time fee)||55 AUD|
|Student Services and Amenities(SSA) Fees/semester||Varies according to credit point of student|
Cost of Living
|Type of expense||Amount (AUD)|
|Electricity and Gas||20-40/week|
|Internet||20-55/week(the university provides free WiFi on campus)|
Students may seek financial aid in the form of student loans, allowances, and Scholarships. Some major scholarships which are offered by the University include:
- James Cook University International Student Merit Stipend – Under this scholarship, a stipend of $700 is given to assist with expenses throughout the duration of study at JCU.
- James Cook University International Excellence Scholarship – The International Excellence Scholarship recognises and rewards excellence to eligible students from the United States, Canada, Latin America, the United Kingdom and Europe.
Besides this, the university offers various merit-based scholarships in a variety of courses. Students can also opt for employment opportunities while pursuing their degree to cover educational and living expenses. Furthermore, students may seek scholarships or funding from their home countries.
The alumni of James Cook University may avail alumni benefits such as e-newsletters, career advice, access to the library, an invitation to alumni events etc. Some of the distinguished alumni are:
- David Crisafulli – Politician
- Brentley Frazer – Author
- Julie Hall – Social Activist.
James Cook University offers Undergraduate, Postgraduate, Diplomas, Research degrees and short courses in over 25 different areas. This includes popular fields like medicine, psychology, veterinary science and marine sciences. The University invites applications for two semesters commencing from February and July each year.
Students applying to courses of any level can apply in any of these three methods:
- Through online application on the university’s portal.
- Through a JCU overseas representative or agent.
- Manually completing an application form.
|Admission Requirements for International Students||The online portal, emailing the application, International JCU representative|
|Application Fee (non-refundable)||No application fees if applying directly or through the JCU international representatives|
|Intake Seasons||First semester (from February)|
Second Semester (from July)
|Financial Aid||Loans, Grants, Sponsorships and Scholarships|
James Cook University Australia Admission Deadlines
The applicants are required to be aware of the below dates while applying to study at the James Cook University, Australia. The deadlines remain the same irrespective of the level of courses.
|Semester 1||30th January|
|Semester 2||30th June|
|Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS)|
Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS)
|Bachelor of Veterinary Science|
|Bachelor of Physiotherapy||30th September|
James Cook University, Australia International Student Admissions
Following are the minimum admission requirements for International students:
- A duly filled application form
- All certified academic transcripts and certificates to testify previous academic achievements, translated to English if in a non-English language.
- English test language results
- An updated resume` including the latest educational qualifications is recommended.
- These are the general requirements and the requirements may differ from department to department. The students are required to contact the university for further information.
English Language Requirements for International Students
International students who hail from countries where English is not an official language (non-English speaking background) need to demonstrate the required proficiency in English. Scores of English tests like IELTS, TOEFL, Pearson, C1 Advanced or C2 Proficiency, ISLPR, OET and JCUCEAP are accepted. Minimum scores required are mentioned below.
|Test type||Band P||Band 1||Band 2||Band 3a||Band 3b||Band 3c|
|TOEFL||56 with all components above 16||74 with all components above 18||86 with all components above 21||94 with all components above 23||94 with 24 in listening and writing, 23 in speaking and 27 in writing||94 with 24 in listening and writing, 23 in speaking and 27 in writing|
|IELTS||At least 5.5 overall with no component lower than 5.0||Minimum 6 overall with no component lower than 6.0||Overall at least 6.5 and no component lower than 6.0||Overall 7 with a minimum of 6.5 in all components||7 with 7.0 in three components and 6.5 in one component||Minimum 7 with all components above 7.0|
|C1 Advanced or C2 Proficiency||162 with no component less than 154||169 with no component less than 169||176 with no component less than 169||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Pearson||46 with all component more than 42||52 with all component more than 52||58 with all the component more than 54||65 with all component more than 58||65 with three component more than 65 and 58 in one component||65 with all component higher than 65|
|ISLPR||At least 2 in each skillset||At least 3 in each skillset||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|OET||N/A||At least B in all component||At least B in all component||At least B in all component||At least B in all component||At least B in all component|
|JCUCEAP||EAP Level 2||EAP Level 3||EAP Level 4||EAP Level 5||EAP Level 5||N/A|
OET is accepted only for undergraduate courses in Physiotherapy, Pharmacy, Occupational therapy, Nursing Science, Medicine, Dental Surgery and Psychological Science. English language eligibility might also depend on the student’s country.
Visa Process for International Students
- After the process of application and acceptance of admission, the university will issue an electronic confirmation of Enrolment (COE).
- The students may then apply for a student visa with the Australian embassy in their home country. Usually, the required documents are as follows:
- Evidence of Identity
- Health insurance
- English language ability
James Cook University Undergraduate Admissions
The University offers Bachelor’s programmes in more than 30 study areas including Advanced Science, Arts, Business, Law, Psychological Science, Education, Engineering, Marine Science and so on. Some of the popular courses and their details are given below.
|Bachelor of Arts||3 years||Must have studied English, Maths, any one of Biology, Chemistry or Maths recommended.|
|Bachelor of Business||3 years||Must have studied English and Maths.|
|Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences||3 years||Must have studied English, Chemistry and Mathematics. Anyone of Biology, Health Education, Physical Education or Physics recommended.|
|Bachelor of Dental Surgery||5 years||Must have studied English, Maths, Chemistry and Biology.|
|Bachelor of Law||4 years||Must have studied English.|
|Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery||6 years||Must have studied English and Chemistry.|
|Bachelor of Psychological Sciences||3 years||Must have studied English.|
Where to apply: Online portal of each respective subjects along with another form duly filled OR through a University representative or offline mode.
Application Fees: Not mentioned on the website
Admission Requirements: Admission requirements (grades in previous courses of study) vary from country to country. Students are advised to refer the University handbook for more information.
- Proof of residency
- English proficiency test results
James Cook University, Australia Graduate Admissions
James Cook University offers graduate programmes in 20+ subject areas like arts, business, education, law, marine science, psychology and so on. Information about some of the popular courses is given below:
|Masters of Business Administration||1.5 years||A relevant Bachelor’s degree and/or 4 years of experience in management which satisfies the coordinator.|
|Master of Data Science||2 years||A relevant Bachelor’s degree and/or at least 5 years’ experience in the relevant industry.|
|Master of Education||1.5 years||A relevant bachelor’s degree with at least 2 years of professional experience.|
|Master of Guidance and Counselling||1.5 years||A bachelor’s degree in the relevant discipline.|
|Master of Psychology (Clinical)||2 years||A relevant bachelor’s degree (honour’s preferred), recognised by the Australian Psychological Society or equivalent.|
|Master of Science||1.5 years||Bachelor’s degree in Science with a minimum GPA of 5.0.|
|Master of Tropical Animal Science||1.5 years||Bachelor’s degree in Animal Science or equivalent.|
Admissions to James Cook University is not considered very competitive and, provided that the students have the required qualifications and permits, the students can get enrolled in this university.