James Cook University (JCU) is a public university in Australia that is situated in Townsville, Queensland. It was established in 1961 by the Ministry of Education, Queensland to surpass the legacy of research by James Cook. Hence, the intuition is quite famous for its research programs. JCU has been ranked under 2% of recognized universities globally for its academic performance, graduate employability and employer satisfaction. The university carries a total number of 22,000 students out of which around 3,180 are international students.
The university offers Internationally renowned teaching and research staff for expertise learning. There are 4 campuses of the university located at Brisbane, Singapore, and Cairns with its main campus in Townsville alongside 3 major study centers at Mount Isa, Mackay, and Thursday Island. JCU is well known for its indulgence in Astronomy, Medical Science and Wildlife Science. It has however taken a major step forward to develop a viable vaccine for malaria.
There are more than five subjects that are renowned globally which are provided by the University. Also, the university’s 26 research centers have been awarded excellence awards.
|University Type||Public Research University|
|Campus Setting||Suburban, Regional|
|No. of Campuses||7|
|Graduate Job Rate||72.9% (full time)|
|Funding||826 million AUD|
|Cost of Attendance||29,036 - 46457 AUD (annually)|
|Applications Accepted||Online/Offline/Through Agent/QTAC|
|Mode of Program||Full time, Part-time, Online|
James Cook University Programs
Popular programs offered by James Cook University (with fees)
|Department Name||Estimated Tuition Fee/Year|
|Arts, Education & Information Sciences||29471 AUD|
|Law & Nursing||31213 AUD|
|Engineering & Pharmacy||35859 AUD|
|Veterinary Sciences||57176 AUD|
- 49 undergraduate and 68 postgraduate degree programs are offered at James Cook University under six colleges and 32 areas of study.
- JCU’s Marine Biology is ranked number one in the world.
- Other subjects that have ranked worldwide are Art, Business Management Studies, Engineering, Law, Biomedical Sciences, Dental Surgery, etc.
Campus and Accommodation
- Townsville Campus itself has a capacity of 11,500 students, including over 1,500 international students.
- Townsville is set in 386-hectare of natural parkland setting with around 13 kilometers from the central business district.
- JCU facilities with basic yet attractive libraries, cafes, bars, fitness, sporting, and student clubs.
- Around 1,400 students reside on-campus.
- Brisbane Campus offers accommodation with a total capacity of 687 students.
- Alongside the on-campus stay facility, the campus also provides basic services from air-conditioned rooms, meals and internet facilities.
- The rooms are available in single, twin and triple sharing provisions.
- Apart from On-campus, the university also provides off-campus Home-stay facilities.
- On-campus, James Cook University, Townsville offers residential facilities for international students. There are five residence facilities on-campus. Along with off-campus accommodation for students.
- The accommodation facilities are available for up to 1,550 students.
- A few of the popular houses available and operated by the university are namely George Roberts Hall, Rotary International House, and University Hall.
- The campus does not require a student to be ‘only’ international to live in this residence. However, the residence does require to be shared among 7 candidates/students.
- The other rooms include accommodation blocks and room with a common room, attached kitchenette, computer facilities, study areas, laundry facilities, and gymnasium.
- JCU also offers options for candidates who are under 18 years of age and willing to stay off-campus. For such cases, homestays are provided by the university with Australian families or a guarding certificate.
James Cook University Admission Process
|Basic Documents Required||Transcripts, Higher Secondary Certificate and, work experience with a bachelor’s degree/diploma (for PG), language proficiency test (TOEFL/IELTS)|
|Supporting Documents||Copy of passport and Australian student visa, health examination, and identity declaration|
|Application Fee||AUD 55|
|Start Date||January 30th; June 30|
|Where to apply?||Apply on Website, via Agent or QTAC|
- Application Form: International students can apply online, offline or through their country-specific agents. The students belonging to Australia and/or pursuing an International Baccalaureate Diploma can apply through QTAC Application.
- The application can be submitted six weeks before attending college.
- The following table shows the required score for each exam:
|GMAT (for PG)||620|
Cost of Attendance
- The cost to stay in Australia in a broader perspective remains quite the same. However, the major change in cost is seen, due to residence differences. Either on-campus or off-campus with a full board facility is around $290 AUD to $442 AUD per week.
- Those who are willing to self-cater can expect expenditure of at least $270 AUD to $350 AUD per week.
|Expenses||Approximate Costs (weekly)|
|Rent (on share)||120 AUD|
|Books and Supplies||55 AUD|
- Based on a privately rented share house. All costs are estimated and are subject to change.
- JCU, however, offers free Wi-Fi to students on Campus.
- Approximate costs of attendance generally shoot up to 48,731 AUD per year.
Financial Aid and Scholarships
International students are offered various scholarships by the James Cook University. These scholarships are widely for research scholars also. Some of them are:
|Name of Scholarship||Value|
|James Cook University International Excellence Scholarship||Depending upon profile|
|JCU International Merit Stipend||$700 AUD/ monthly|
|JCU College Pathways||25% reduction in tuition fee|
|Australia Award Scholarship||Depending upon profile, reason - Maximum benefit, the full cost of attendance to be relieved|
- For all the scholarships above, JCU has maintained a very flexible design for students in need.
- There are no certain criteria which decide the value and eligibility. However, the Scholarship is indeed assessed on the basis of an overall academic and scholastic profile.
- It is necessary to provide all the information and documents asked at the time of the process.
- All profiles are automatically accepted for the scholarship when applying for admission to the university. The further process is required to be taken by a specific request.
James Cook University offers Undergraduate, Postgraduate, Diplomas, Research degrees and short courses in over 25 different areas. This includes popular fields like medicine, psychology, veterinary science, and marine sciences. The University invites applications for two semesters commencing from February and July each year.
Students applying to courses of any level can apply in any of these three methods:
- Through online application on the university’s portal.
- Through a JCU overseas representative or agent.
- Manually completing an application form.
|Admission Requirements for International Students||The online portal, emailing the application, International JCU representative|
|Application Fee (non-refundable)||No application fees if applying directly or through the JCU international representatives|
|Intake Seasons||First semester (from February) and Second Semester (from July)|
|Financial Aid||Loans, Grants, Sponsorships, and Scholarships|
James Cook University Australia Admission Deadlines
The applicants are required to be aware of the below dates while applying to study at James Cook University, Australia. The deadlines remain the same irrespective of the level of courses.
|Semester 1||30th January|
|Semester 2||30th June|
|Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS)|
|Bachelor of Veterinary Science|
|Bachelor of Physiotherapy||30th September|
James Cook University, Australia International Student Admissions
Following are the minimum admission requirements for International students:
- A duly filled application form
- All certified academic transcripts and certificates to testify previous academic achievements, translated to English if in a non-English language.
- English test language results
- An updated resume` including the latest educational qualifications is recommended.
- These are the general requirements and the requirements may differ from department to department. The students are required to contact the university for further information.
English Language Requirements for International Students
International students who hail from countries where English is not an official language (non-English speaking background) need to demonstrate the required proficiency in English. Scores of English tests like IELTS, TOEFL, Pearson, C1 Advanced or C2 Proficiency, ISLPR, OET, and JCUCEAP are accepted. The minimum scores required are mentioned below.
|Test type||Band P||Band 1||Band 2||Band 3a||Band 3b||Band 3c|
|TOEFL||56 with all components above 16||74 with all components above 18||86 with all components above 21||94 with all components above 23||94 with 24 in listening and writing, 23 in speaking and 27 in writing||94 with 24 in listening and writing, 23 in speaking and 27 in writing|
|IELTS||At least 5.5 overall with no component lower than 5.0||Minimum 6 overall with no component lower than 6.0||Overall at least 6.5 and no component lower than 6.0||Overall 7 with a minimum of 6.5 in all components||7 with 7.0 in three components and 6.5 in one component||Minimum 7 with all components above 7.0|
|C1 Advanced or C2 Proficiency||162 with no component less than 154||169 with no component less than 169||176 with no component less than 169||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Pearson||46 with all component more than 42||52 with all component more than 52||58 with all the component more than 54||65 with all component more than 58||65 with three component more than 65 and 58 in one component||65 with all component higher than 65|
|ISLPR||At least 2 in each skillset||At least 3 in each skillset||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|OET||N/A||At least B in all component||At least B in all component||At least B in all component||At least B in all component||At least B in all component|
|JCUCEAP||EAP Level 2||EAP Level 3||EAP Level 4||EAP Level 5||EAP Level 5||N/A|
OET is accepted only for undergraduate courses in Physiotherapy, Pharmacy, Occupational therapy, Nursing Science, Medicine, Dental Surgery and Psychological Science. English language eligibility might also depend on the student’s country.
Visa Process for International Students
- After the process of application and acceptance of admission, the university will issue an electronic confirmation of Enrolment (COE).
- The students may then apply for a student visa with the Australian embassy in their home country. Usually, the required documents are as follows:
- Evidence of Identity
- Health insurance
- English language ability
James Cook University Undergraduate Admissions
The University offers Bachelor’s programs in more than 30 study areas including Advanced Science, Arts, Business, Law, Psychological Science, Education, Engineering, Marine Science and so on. Some of the popular courses and their details are given below.
|Bachelor of Arts||3 years||Must have studied English, Maths, any one of Biology, Chemistry or Maths recommended.|
|Bachelor of Business||3 years||Must have studied English and Maths.|
|Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences||3 years||Must have studied English, Chemistry and Mathematics. Anyone of Biology, Health Education, Physical Education or Physics recommended.|
|Bachelor of Dental Surgery||5 years||Must have studied English, Maths, Chemistry, and Biology.|
|Bachelor of Law||4 years||Must have studied English.|
|Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery||6 years||Must have studied English and Chemistry.|
|Bachelor of Psychological Sciences||3 years||Must have studied English.|
Where to apply: Online portal of each respective subjects along with another form duly filled OR through a University representative or offline mode.
Application Fees: Not mentioned on the website. Admission Requirements: Admission requirements (grades in previous courses of study) vary from country to country. Students are advised to refer the University handbook for more information.
- Proof of residency
- English proficiency test results
James Cook University, Australia Graduate Admissions
James Cook University offers graduate programs in 20+ subject areas like arts, business, education, law, marine science, psychology and so on. Information about some of the popular courses is given below:
|Masters of Business Administration||1.5 years||A relevant Bachelor’s degree and/or 4 years of experience in management which satisfies the coordinator.|
|Master of Data Science||2 years||A relevant Bachelor’s degree and/or at least 5 years’ experience in the relevant industry.|
|Master of Education||1.5 years||A relevant bachelor’s degree with at least 2 years of professional experience.|
|Master of Guidance and Counselling||1.5 years||A bachelor’s degree in the relevant discipline.|
|Master of Psychology (Clinical)||2 years||A relevant bachelor’s degree (honor’s preferred), recognized by the Australian Psychological Society or equivalent.|
|Master of Science||1.5 years||Bachelor’s degree in Science with a minimum GPA of 5.0.|
|Master of Tropical Animal Science||1.5 years||Bachelor’s degree in Animal Science or equivalent.|
Admissions to James Cook University is not considered very competitive and, provided that the students have the required qualifications and permits, the students can get enrolled in this university.