La Trobe University is a public research university in Australia that was established in 1967. The university is located in Victoria, Melbourne with a total number of 7 different campuses in the country. It is among the top 1.1% universities out of 27,000 universities of the world and is popularly recognized due to its’ research and public campaigns. It is also at the 52nd position in Times Higher Education World University (2020).
La Trobe has also been ranked #2 in Victoria for graduate employer satisfaction. Since it is known for its research programs, it is the first university in Australia to have received 6 stars for sustainable and large scale developments.
The University has around 36,000 students at Victoria Campus with over 7,000 international students from 110 countries. Each year, 550 students are enrolled at La Trobe in Victoria.
La Trobe has managed to break through some classic research into a broader form. A few of the latest researches that the university worked on were for the development and cure of Cancer and Cachexia. It has also been working on helping youth battle with Autism to lead a normal life.
A few of the most popular courses at the university are Arts and Social Science, Business and Commerce, Health, Science and IT and Engineering.
|University Type||Public Research|
|Student Ratio (females to males)||62:38|
|Graduate Employability Rate||86.6%|
|No. of Courses||104+|
|No. of International Students||28%|
|Cost of Attendance||20,746 USD – 27,662 USD (annually)|
|Applications Accepted||Online application/Printed application, by post|
|Intake Type||Semester Wise|
|Mode of Program||Full time; Part-time and Online|
|Arts, Social Sciences and Communications||21,023 USD – 24,757 USD|
|Business and Commerce||21,023 USD – 23,097 USD|
|Health||23,097 USD – 26,555 USD|
|Sciences||24,481 USD – 26,555 USD|
|Education and Teaching||19,916 USD – 21,023 USD|
|IT and Engineering||21,853 USD– 24,757 USD|
|Law and Criminology||22,821 USD – 25,864 USD|
- La Trobe is nationally top rated, in 19 fields of research. Some of the subjects are Education, Juridical Science, Applied Linguistics, Medicine, Nursing, Social Work, Engineering, Economics, Commerce, etc.
Campus and Residence
- The campus is located between the beautiful Australian Parkland.
- La Trobe has a total number of 7 campuses out of which, Melbourne, Sydney, and Bendigo offers few of the most prominent programs for International Students.
- The university offers facilities like theatre, childcare service, faith and drink center, parking, carpool, medical, clinics, retail shops, banks, safety and security helpline, sports and gymnasium.
- La Trobe offers residential facilities on its 3 campuses out of 7, for its students.
- 632 USD per month - On-campus
- 500 USD is a compulsory fee for paid check-in as security. Cancellation fee 415 USD if vacating before 28 days of the notice or before the date of departure.
- PG - (University lodge, graduate house, couple, twin sharing, single along with the kitchen)
- UG - Single room with shared facilities (kitchen and bathroom).
- The University also provides, off-campus accommodation. The advisory for such assistance is given by the office. Those who are unable to find any spot can ask the university for suggestions.
La Trobe University Admission Process
|What all documents are required?||Translated and scanned academic transcripts, work experience (if any), degree/diploma (for PG admissions)|
|Are there any supporting documents?||Official bank statement and copy of passport and Australian student visa|
|Will there be any application fee?||$ 75|
|Where shall I apply as an IS?||International Student Portal|
- Application Form: International students can download the application form and mail the completed application at the given address or online via the portal.
- Application deadlines: Rolling Selected applicants may be called for an interview.
The following table shows English Proficiency Test score requirements for UG and PG admissions:
|Test||UG Courses Requirement||PG Courses Requirement|
Cost of Attendance
- Living expenses for the Victoria Campus are around 18,485 USD per year; however for Bendigo 14,339 USD Campus is and for Melbourne Campus, it is 14,799 USD.
- The tuition fee is excluded in the division which hikes up the total cost of attendance to 28,575 to 31,012 USD per year.
Financial Aid and Scholarship
La Trobe University offers different types of scholarships to international students.
Some of them are:
- Indian Woman Access scholarships – 55,324 USD awarded to Indian Female Students pursuing a Master of Cyber Security course.
- LTU WAM Scholarships – tuition fee waived from 10% to 20% for Accounting, Business, Sciences students which are based on merit.
|Name||Opening Date||Closing Date||Amount|
|La Trobe Excellence Scholarship||1st January||31st August||25% reduction on the course fee|
|Women Scholarship||March||January||5000 USD|
|La Trobe University Full Fee Research Scholarship||21st October||End of March||100% tuition fee|
|India Scholarship||20th to 25th October||December||30% reduction in the course fees|
- Women Scholarship(s) is available for various study fields, namely, IT, Engineering, Data Science, Cybersecurity, etc.
- Research scholarships are available for the Graduate Researchers and Ph.D. aspirants.
- India Scholarship is available for those with either Indian origin but not a resident of another nation(Australia).
La Trobe College, Australia offers admission to multiple courses via the Victorian Tertiary Admissions Centre (VTAC) or UAC. La Trobe has three intakes- June, October and February intake. The admissions are rolling for February intake. La Trobe college is part of the top 1.2% universities all over the world. Admissions are offered on the basis of Australian Tertiary Admission Rank from the first round of offers.
- Applicants can also apply for direct application.
- Candidates are required to start making applications 6 months prior to the intake.
- There is also a provision for supplementary offer.
|Application Portal||Official Website|
|Application Fee (non-refundable)||N/A|
|Mode of Payment||Online|
|Intake Seasons||October, July and February intake|
|Financial Aid||Grants, loans, work-study, and Scholarships|
La Trobe College Admissions Deadlines
The full-time academic session at the La Trobe College begins in the Fall and Spring seasons with few courses in February as well. The students may apply up to one year in advance for early decision.
|Early Admission using VTAC/UAC application|
Late course application
|Early Admission||Depends on the course|
La Trobe College International Admissions
International students must fulfil additional requirements before submitting an application to the La Trobe College. Some of them are as follows:
Application Submission Requirements:
International students must submit the ones listed below:
- Proof of English Language Proficiency.
- A copy of the bachelor’s degree certificate.
- Letters of recommendation.
- Official Transcripts of secondary school or university/ marks card.
- Financial support documentation or sponsor’s affidavit of financial support.
- Copy of official passport.
- Completed application for admission
English Language Requirements
Students must have proof of their English language proficiency by providing scores of any one of the following tests given below, to be eligible for admission at the La Trobe College.
|Test Name||Minimum Score Required|
|TOEFL (Internet-based)||55 60|
|Cambridge English||Level B2|
|La Trobe Melbourne||EFS 4B|
|PTE Academic||42 50|
Visa Process for International Students
- Students who are accepted into their course are required to apply to the Department of Home Affairs for a student visa.
- Applicants are required to provide the following documents to receive the student visa as a part of the visa process:
- Copy of the offer of enrolment paper.
- Copy of the confirmation of enrolment (CoE) paper.
- Evidence of Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) payment.
- Passport and passport photographs.
- Medical clearance.
- Evidence of English Language proficiency.
- Evidence of qualifications.
- Complete an online application with an application fee.
- Applicants are then required to attend the nearest visa application centre.
- Post the documents to the Australian embassy once the confirmation is given.
La Trobe College Undergraduate Admissions
La Trobe College enrols numerous students in the undergraduate courses that they offer. The admission requirements and eligibility criteria for undergraduate courses are given below:
How to apply: The students have to apply through the official website.
Application Fees: N/A
When to apply: Applications must be submitted before 30 September if applying via VTAC/UAC and 1 November for late course application.
Admission Requirements: Official University Transcripts, English Proficiency score for International students, Recommendation letters, Academic records, copy of official passport, personal statement.
Supporting Documents: Approved financial bank statement, Evidence of sufficient financial funds or sponsor.
|Country Name||Academic Requirements|
|India||CBSE/ICSE - 55% All other boards - 57% PSEB - 58%|
|Pakistan||Completion of Higher School Certificate with a grade average of 55%|
|China||Senior Middle School 3 with 60% average/Engineering and Computer Science 70%|
|Nepal||Completion of Higher School Certificate with grade average of 60%|
|Sri Lanka||GCE A-levels with 2 passes OR Sri Lanka A-Levels with 3|
|Bangladesh||Completion of Year 12 (Higher Secondary Education Board with GPA of 3.5)|
La Trobe College Graduate Admissions
La Trobe College offers numerous graduate courses to prospective applicants. Students can apply via the respective school’s website. Each program’s requirements, deadlines and admission procedure differs from the other.
Academic Requirements for International Students: Applicants must submit TOEFL/IELTS Academic scores with official transcripts.
|Name of the offered programs||Application intakes||Academic Requirements|
|Postgraduate Enabling program-Business||February, June and October||Bachelor's degree in Business Administration or equivalent, must pass each subject in the PEP course and achieve a minimum weighted average mark (WAM) of 60%.|
|Postgraduate Enabling program-IT||February, June and October||Bachelor's degree in Information Technology or equivalent, must pass each subject in the PEP course and achieve a minimum weighted average mark (WAM) of 60%.|
The admissions office of the La Trobe College reviews each application critically. Admissions are offered to students on the basis of their academic excellence, official test scores, supporting documents and an on-time application submission with the required fee (if mentioned in the site).
La Trobe College regularly ensures that the students get the specific admission guidelines beforehand to avoid any sort of confusion. Once the university accepts the application form, they will send an offer and acceptance letter.