LADY HARDINGE MEDICAL COLLEGE Colleges1 year ago - PARAMEDICAL - New Delhi - 317 views
The Lady Hardinge Medical College (LHMC), New Delhi is counted amongst the premier medical institutes in India. The foundation stone of the college was laid Lady Hardinge on 17th March 1914. The medical institute was formally opened in February 1916 by Lord Hardinge. It became part of Delhi University, Faculty of Medical Sciences in 1950 and since then it is under the supervision of Faculty of Medical Sciences, University of Delhi.
- The Lady Hardinge Medical College was meant to honor the visit of Queen Mary in the year 1911-12 and it was decided to name the institute as Queen Mary College and Hospital but after the death of Lady Hardinge in 1914, on the suggestion of Queen Mary it was named Lady Hardinge Medical College.
- In initial time the, college registered 14-16 medical students every year from all over the country. Since 2011 the admission capacity to the MBBS course has been raised to 200 seats.
- For providing quality and valuable education in the field of Health Science, today the LHMC have achieved fame all over the world.
- Dr. Sushil Nayar, Dr. Usha Luthra of I.C M.R., Dr. Sumedha Khanna of W.H.O. and Dr. Saroj Pachauri of Ford Foundation are the few names of renowned professional personals in the field of health sciences produced by the college.
- The institute has two hospitals namely Smt. Sucheta Kriplani Hospital and Kalawati Saran Child Hospital for teaching and training of its medical students. The Smt. Kriplani Hospital has bed strength of 877 and the Kalawati Saran Child Hospital has 350.
- The Lady Hardinge Medical College has produced over 6125 graduates and 2564+ postgraduates in various areas of medical sciences since its establishment.
- The medical college has 8 different departments and each department has well-experienced professors who are quite enough to give an extraordinary medical education to the students.
Academic Overview: The college being a pioneer institute in the field of Health Science Education has an exceptional distinction in the nation for exclusive training in undergraduate and postgraduate courses. The various departments of LHMC are listed below –
- Department of Physiology
- Department of Anatomy
- Department of Microbiology
- Department of Biochemistry
- Department of Pathology
- Department of Forensic Medicine
- Department of Pharmacology
- Department of Community Medicine
Extracurricular: In addition to academics, the college organizes many extracurricular activities to tailor their students all round development. The management of the college arranges inter & intra college competitions like –
- Games & Sports
- Cultural programs namely dance, music and drama
It assists students to shoe their hidden talents and skills. Periodically, it also organizes blood donation camp and other health service camps.
- SPLASH: It is the annual festival of Lady Hardinge Medical College (LHMC), which is held in February. It is the time that students and staffs enjoy with great enthusiasm.
- Ranked 7th in India’s Best Medical Colleges by India Today, 2013
- Ranked 6th in India’s Best Medical Colleges by India Today, 2011
Scholarship: The following Scholarships have been started in August 2011 and will be given to the students till Dec 2015 which is Rs 1500/- per month
- Dr Rakesh Kumar Sharma Scholarship
- Dr Nirmal Aggarwal Scholarship -1
- Dr Nirmal Aggarwal Scholarship-2
- Dr Kusum Bakshi