Macquarie University is a public research university founded in 1964 and located in Sydney, Australia. The university is ranked amongst top 2% of the world universities, according to QS World University Rankings 2018. It has also received 5 Star for their 5 study areas under QS Stars University Ratings, 2017. According to THE World University Rankings, 2016, the university is amongst the top 50 international universities in the world.
|University Type||Public Research University|
|Cost of Attendance||AUD 31,800 (annually)|
|Applications Accepted||Official website|
|Intake Type||Term wise|
|Mode of Program||Full time; Distance|
Program, Campus and Residence
- Macquarie University multiple programs under 9 areas of study. 10 subjects of Macquarie university are ranked in the global list of top 100 subjects.
- The students, during the course of their program, can choose to live in a private accommodation or go for homestay. The students can also opt for Residential College, Village or an apartment life, if they want.
Application Form: The international students can fill the application form in either of the three ways - The online mode, by post or through an authorized agent. Common requirements: Transcripts The application fee: AUD 75 (both UG and PG) Additional requirements: Copy of Passport, Overseas Health Cover, Statement of Motivation (for MBA), Pathway Programs (if any) Intake Sessions: UG and PG – February and July; MBA – January, March, June and September
|TOEFL||Paper – 570, Internet - 83|
|CAE||176 (overall)/ Grade C|
Cost of Attendance
|BA programs||31,800 AUD|
|Master Programs||29,400 AUD|
In 2017, the university had awarded USD 5 million scholarship, along with 370 scholarships granted to international students.
Some of the Macquarie University scholarships are mentioned below:
- Big History Scholarships
- English Language Scholarships
- Study Abroad Scholarships
- Country-Specific Scholarships for students from different countries.
Macquarie University is a dynamic institution enrolling 50,000 students and more than 3, 000 staff. It has an acceptance rate of 30%, with 11 subjects ranked in the top 100 in the 2018 QS World University Rankings by Subject.
Macquarie University admission to more than 5550 overseas students to take admission in the university each year. The students can take admission for the degrees of Arts; Business and Economics; Human Sciences; Medicine and Health Sciences; and Engineering and Technology.
- The university gives admission to its 120 courses.
- The student to faculty ratio at the University of Macquarie is 30:1.
- The admission process is selective and the student can take admission by applying online on their official website.
- It is mandatory for applicants to obtain a minimum GPA of 2.0 in order to b eligible for Macquarie University admissions.
- Students not meeting the minimum eligibility criteria may opt for the respective pathway programs in order to be eligible for application.
- Macquarie encourages the students to apply at least 1 year before for semester-based programs and at least 6 months before for the short-term courses.
|Average SAT score||1200|
|Average ACT score||28|
|Average GPA score requirement||2.5|
|Average IB score requirement||28|
|Average Percentage requirement||75|
|TOEFL score||83 minimum overall score|
|IELTS score||6.5 overall with no band score below 6.0|
|PTE score||5.8 with no skill score below 50|
|Average Tuition fee||AUD 36,000|
|Mode of Payment||Master-Card/ American Express/Discover/visa|
|Average living cost||AUD 17,000|
|Total Academic Programs||420|
|Work Experience||Work-Study, Loans, Grants, and Scholarships|
|US News Global Ranking||238|
|QS Global Ranking||237|
|Times Higher Education Global Ranking||201-250|
Macquarie University Admission Deadlines
The university applications are issued daily during the given admission periods:
|Admission Sessions||Opening Date||Closing Date||Intake Months|
|Session 1 2019||4 September 2018||31 October 2019||September - February|
|Session 2 2019||4 September 2018||31 October 2019||September - July|
Macquarie University Undergraduate Admissions
The university offers undergraduate admission across subjects including health & medical sciences, business, environment, media, law & security, history, engineering & IT, languages, art, science, and education.
The admission requirements for international students are mentioned below.
Where to Apply: Macquarie University Undergraduate Application portal(online)
Application Fee: No Fees
- Secondary or high school qualification/ university foundation course/ two- or three-year diploma/ one year of a university degree from a recognized institution
- Average Academic Scores Required:
- GPA minimum requirement: 2.5
- IB minimum requirement: 28
- Percentage minimum requirement:75
- SAT Average Score: 1200
- ACT Average Score: 28
- TOEFL/IELTS test score
- SOP: Not required
- LOR: Needed for a few courses
- Essays: Not required
- CV: Needed for a few courses
English Proficiency Test Score for International Students
It is essential for international applicants to prove that they are proficient in English if their primary language is not English by submitting scores of any of the following tests mentioned.
|Test||Undergraduate Students||Graduate Students|
Visa Process for International Students
Macquire University gives admission to only those international students who get a student visa by the approval of the Department of the Home Affairs. For this, the students must submit the following:
- Completed Australian student visa application form (157A)
- Visa application fee – currently 560 AUD (~430 USD)
- Copy of passport biodata page
- Certificate of enrolment or letter of offer
- Evidence of sufficient funds
- Evidence of health insurance cover
- English proficiency test results
- Criminal record check results
- Four recent passport-sized photographs
To maintain a valid Student Visa, the student should have a valid Confirmation of Enrolment. If the university rules are breached, the student visa might get canceled.
Macquarie University Postgraduate Admissions
The university offers 70 Masters from subjects like Business, Social Sciences, Medicine and Humanities.
Where to apply: There are two main ways, via the Universities Admissions Centre or directly to the University itself.
Academic Requirements: A majority of the graduate programs require the students to have completed a bachelor’s degree or equivalent from a recognized institution, Weighted Average Mark (WAM) or relevant professional experience.
Documents Required: The student applying for Master's must have:
- a bachelor degree or equivalent from a recognized institution
- Official transcripts of the undergraduate degree
- Work experience documents
- English language proficiency certificate/evidence
Some of the popular courses offered by the university are:
- Master of Data Science
- Master of Media and Communications
- Master of Business Analytics
- Master of Business Administration (MBA)
- Master of Applied Statistics
The University has an online admission procedure. The students are asked to submit their credentials and other documents. The admission process is selective and only the best deserving students get a chance to enroll in the various courses offered by the university. The admission process is speedy and it only takes a week from registration till enrollment.