A challenging profession, Nursing is dedicated to the service of humanity. The ability to understand and soothe are as important to a nurse's career as expertise in Nursing techniques and care. SRM College of Nursing is a member of SRM Group of educational Institutions for higher learning functions under Valliammai Society. The society was founded in the year 1975 by the Chancellor, a well-known educationist, for promoting the cause of education. The College of Nursing was established in the year 1992, at Bharathi Salai, Ramapuram, Chennai 89. Presently, SRM College of Nursing is located at SRM Nagar, Potheri, Kattankulathur, Chengalpattu District in a pleasant and spacious campus, at 1 km distance from Potheri railway station & Potheri bus stop. Many of our graduates are well placed both in India and overseas. Today, with 5 Departments and 5 different courses, SRM College of Nursing has left an indelible mark on Curricular, Co-curricular, and Extracurricular activities. These ventures help the students to evolve into truly global nursing professionals and citizens.
The college trains and prepares skillful nurses with a healing touch. The teaching methods include Lecture, discussions, symposia, seminars, panel discussions, debates etc. The sessions are made lively using multimedia projectors and other media, moulding the students into highly confident and resourceful persons, endowed with the unique qualities of love, courage, and warmth.
Motto of the Institution
Service to the Humanity
Philosophy of the Institution
We believe in,
- The overall development of the students in order to face the new challenges and modern technologies in medical science
- Preparing nurses who will function as health team members for first level position in the hospital and the community
- Developing programmes based on sound educational learning and scientific principles, emphasizing more on clinical and community practices
- Practicing the developing nursing profession interdependent on medical and paramedical professions for preventive, promotive, curative, and rehabilitative health
- Preparing a successful team member and also provide opportunities to develop the communication skills to practice the nursing profession
- Providing a strong basic foundation which will enable nurses for further professional growth and development
- Rendering comprehensive nursing care to individual, family and community regardless of color, caste, creed, religion and nationality
- Preparing nurses who will maintain professional dignity, follow ethical principles and hold the patients’ confidentiality
Vision and Mission
- To prepare nurses who will be responsible to hold various positions namely bedside nurses, nurse educators, administrators, researchers in the Government, Private, Public sector, NGOS both in the hospital and community
- To develop program based on sound educational learning and scientific principles emphasizing more on clinical and community practices
- To periodically review and evaluate community needs, changing trends and to introduce new program of study to serve the society
- Prepare nurses who will be responsible to hold various positions namely bedside nurses, nurse educators, administrators, researchers in the Government, Private, Public sectors , NGOs, both in the hospital and community.
- Develop programmes based on sound educational learning and scientific principles emphasizing more on clinical and community practices.
- Periodically review community needs and changing trend and introduce new programme of study to serve the human race at large.
The Goals of the Institution
- Prepare nurses who will be responsible to hold various positions namely bedside nurses, nurse educators, administrators, researchers in the Government, Private, Public sectors , NGOs, both in the hospital and community
- Develop programmes based on sound educational learning and scientific principles emphasizing more on clinical and community practices
- Periodically review community needs and changing trend and introduce new programme of study to serve the human race at large
Objectives of The Institution
To prepare nurses
- To function as health member for various position in the hospital, teaching institution and community
- To demonstrate effective communication skills when dealing with people at all levels
- To provide effective nursing care with professional competency using the nursing process to people of all ages in variety of settings in health and illness
- To work collaboratively with members of allied disciplines and community towards attaining optimum health for all the members of the society
- To utilize the knowledge from physical, biological, behavioural and human sciences in the practice of professional nursing
- To identify the impact of socio-cultural, economical and religious influences on the health-illness continuum of the individual, family and community
- To accept responsibility for continuing professional education and contribute for professional growth and development
- To apply and practice moral and ethical values in day-to-day personal and professional life
The syllabus is reviewed biannually by the Board of studies and ratified by the University's Academic Council and Indian Nursing Council. The curriculum follows the Revised Indian Nursing Council Syllabus. The undergraduate program provides an understanding of the health sciences with a strong foundation in the basic sciences. The syllabus is structured to teach students core nursing subjects and English, Computer Science, Management, Education, Research and Biostatistics for all round development of the students. The postgraduate program gives additional skills in administrative and management areas, while allowing students to specialize in Medical & Surgical Nursing, Community Health Nursing, Paediatric Nursing, Obstetrics and Gynaecology Nursing and Psychiatric Nursing.