With an aim to provide medical service to the poor, the St. Johns Medical College was set up in Bengaluru to train personal in health care. With this aim, the college was set up in 1963 by The Catholic Bishops Conference Of India. Built over a massive 132 acres of land, the St John’s Medical College has consecutively received 5-star grading by the University Grants Commission and The National Assessment and Accreditation Council. The college has been ranked 4th in a list of top 25 Medical Colleges in India by the Outlook Magazine for four years consecutively.
St John’s Medical College offers Undergraduate, Postgraduate, Super Speciality, PhD, elective, and Fellowship courses. The departments in the college can be categorised as: Pre & Paraclinical Department, Surgical Department, Medical Department and Diagnostic Services.
St. John's Medical College Admission Process
The college offers 150 seats in MBBS course every year. To pursue medical education in Karnataka, the students should have a certificate from the Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences that states the student to be eligible to apply.
- To apply for admission in the MBBS course, the students must appear in the NEET-UG examination and should have passed 10+2 from a recognised board with an aggregate percentage of 50%
- For admission to postgraduate courses(MD/MS), students must apply on the official website of NEET-UG and should have an MBBS degree from a recognized college
- For admission in DM or MCH courses, rank obtained in the NEET-SS examination is the criteria for selection
- Admission in the college is done based on merit obtained in the entrance examinations
- For applying for admission in PhD courses, the candidate must have obtained at least 55% marks in MD or MSc degree
St. John's Medical College Placements
The annual package obtained by students in 2018 was 1.5 LPA.
St. John's Medical College Scholarships
The St John’s Medical college provides scholarship to meritorious and deserving students to provide financial support for the education of the student. Some of the scholarships available are mentioned below:
The Cardinal Gracias Scholarship: Awarded to two meritorious students whose family annual income is not more than Rs 24000/-.
The Dean Louis Monteiro Scholarship: Awarded to one student who is deserving and meritorious and whose family income is not over Rs 24000/-.
The S.J.M.C Alumni Association Scholarship: Awarded on the basis of merit-cum-means to two MBBS students.
Dr Sr. Mary Glowrey JMJ-CHAI Scholarship: Awarded on the basis of merit-cum-means to two MBBS students each year.
The S.J.M.C Parents Association Scholarship: Awarded on the basis of merit-cum-means to one MBBS students.
Dr F.H. Noronha Scholarship: Awarded on the basis of merit-cum-means to one MBBS students.
Dr M.A. De Heredia Scholarship: Awarded on the basis of merit-cum-means to one MBBS student.
Bishop Sebastian Mankuzhikary Memorial Scholarship: Awarded to one MBBS student each year on a merit-cum-means basis.
St. John's Medical College Facilities
The college offers a one-year mandatory internship to all students in last year of MBBS course.