Topiwala National Medical College Colleges1 year ago - PARAMEDICAL - Mumbai - 252 views
Fees: -- ₹
- TNMC is the first public hospital to have seven of its departments with ISO-9001 certification
- TNMC has more than 250 senior teaching staff members who are assisted by 400 resident doctors
- TNMC provides training courses in more than 25 different medical and allied branches, including 9 superspeciality courses
- It was 1920, and the island city of Bombay had only one medical college, the Grant Medical College. India was under British rule and naturally the college was managed by the British. No Indian doctors were appointed irrespective of their academic background and experience.This was the time when the country was in the throes of the independence movement. Local nationalistic leaders felt that the city should have a medical college that is established only with the help of locally generated funds without taking any help from the British rulers.
- Through donations from the Tilak Swaraj Funds, on the 4th of September 1921, the National Medical College was established This College started functioning at the Victoria Cross Lane, Byculla. The founding fathers wanted to train doctors who could serve not only through hospitals, but would also reach out to the community. Incidentally Ayurveda was an obligatory part of the curriculum in our college. As, in those days, even the Universities were controlled by the British the founders affiliated the institution to the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Bombay and the first batch of students was admitted for its Licentiate Medical Practitioner (LMP) course.