UNIVERSITY OF ADELAIDE Colleges1 year ago - AGRICULTURE - Adelaide - 95 views
The University of Adelaide is a public university located in the heart of one of the most livable cities, Adelaide. Established in 1874, it is the third-oldest university in the country and is ranked among the top 1% of the universities worldwide.
With more than 1,700 research academics and 2300 research students, U of A’s 35 research areas has been rated 5 out of 5.
The University consists of three Australian campuses which incorporate five faculties, offering a rare combination of elite academic performance and an admirable lifestyle. Beaches, Central Markets, and Shopping malls are merely a 10-30 minutes walk from the campus.
Furthermore, it claims associations with five Nobel laureates and 110 Rhodes scholars, and many other notable alumni including - Julia Gillard, the first female Prime Minister of Australia, and Robin Warren, who co-discovered the link between the bacterium Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori) and peptic ulcers.
The University of Adelaide is known to rank among the top 1% of the global universities and is recognized as a leading research university. According to some renowned ranking websites, it is placed at :
- 106 in 2020 QS world rankings
- 120 in 2020 Times Higher Education rankings
- 137 in 2019 ARWU rankings
Also, the University of Adelaide is known to rank among the top 100 in the world by QS World University Rankings by Subject 2019 for 15 academic subjects :
- Mineral and mining engineering
- Veterinary science
- Engineering - Civil and Structural
- Engineering - Chemical
- Agriculture and forestry
- Anatomy and physiology
- Earth and marine sciences
- Environmental sciences
- Accounting and finance
Where mineral and mining engineering is placed at #26 in the world, dentistry at #31, nursing at #42, and veterinary science at #43.
|Type of University||Public|
|Year of Establishment||1874|
|Total Student Population (full time)||21,142|
|Percentage of International Student Population||29%|
|Total Number of Faculty Members||1,639|
|Total Number of Campuses||3|
|Total Research Funding Amount||58.6 Million USD|
Programs, Campuses, and Accommodations
Ranked at #1 in the state of Adelaide, the university incorporates 26 academic fields that are ranked in the top 150, globally. Also, it offers more than 200 UG and PG degrees, with an aim to graduate educated leaders of tomorrow. The faculty of Engineering at U of A stands among the top 50 universities, as stated by the 2018 ranking of the world universities.
Above mentioned is the number of enrollments (as of 2019) per faculty.
Quick Fact: Out of 27,094 students who enrolled in 2018, only 7,009 finished with the program completion.
With three campuses in South Australia - at North Terrace, Waite, and Roseworthy, the University of Adelaide comprises of facilities and services specially dedicated to the international population.
- North Terrace - The North Terrace campus is located in the heart of Adelaide, which is known as the main campus of the university. Being surrounded by the state’s art gallery, museum, and library - the campus provides a mix of historical and contemporary environments.
- Waite Campus - located about seven kilometers from Adelaide, Waite is the home to the Waite Research Institute. The campus offers a range of facilities and activities to the on-campus population and the general public and is home to the university’s Urrbrae House Historic Precinct, Waite Arboretum, and Waite Conservation Reserve.
- Roseworthy Campus - Roseworthy is situated approximately 50 kilometers north of the city. Being an internationally renowned center for excellence in dryland agriculture and animal production, it is home to South Australia’s only Veterinary School.
The University of Adelaide is also known to offer UG and PG programs through Ngee Ann-Adelaide Education Centre in Singapore.
Quick Fact: The famous Adelaide Oval is a 10-minute walk from the university’s North Terrace campus.
The university has an accommodation service dedicated to helping students in finding an accommodation option that fits according to their needs.
International students can look for accommodation packages with Urbanest which is known to be the university’s official accommodation partner. Please note - Interested candidates are required to fill up an application form.
- The University of Adelaide Village - Situated in Adelaide’s in the dynamic Central Market, it is known to be the largest university-managed student accommodation option.
- Mattanya Student Residences - being a 15-minute walk from the North Terrace campus, Mattanya offers a comfortable, convenient and independent living in a quiet suburban location.
- Roseworthy Residential College - located 50 km north from the city campus, it offers the students benefits of on-campus residential accommodation and only available to students of the university’s rural campus.
Quick Fact: Adelaide offers a 14% lower accommodation rates than Sydney.
University of Adelaide Admission Process
Where to Apply: Interested candidates seeking to get admission at the University of Adelaide may apply through the university’s official application website or consider applying via a university of Adelaide agent.
When to Apply: All programs, except - Nursing, Psychology, and Dental have the application deadline of December 1
Interested candidates must refer to their respective faculties or go to the application page for course-specific deadlines.
Application Fee: All international candidates are required to pay an application fee of 75 USD
How to Apply: As an international student, you need to follow these simple steps to get your career started at the University of Adelaide:
- Select your program(s)
- Check your program entry requirements
- Check the application closing dates
- Provide certified documents such as:
- Complete student agreement
- Official school transcript(s) and graduation certificate(s)
- English test results from IELTS, TOEFL, Pearson or Cambridge
- PDF of Visa and Passport
Please note - students will be contacted by the university in case any additional document(s) or information is needed.
University of Adelaide Tuition and Living Expenses
The tuition fee at the University of Adelaide would vary according to the course you opt for. Annual tuition fees for a few popular UG courses are mentioned below:
|Course||Tuition Fee (in USD)|
|Bachelor of Engineering (Civil)||29,528|
|Bachelor of Science (Mineral Geoscience)||26,438|
|Bachelor of Dental Surgery||55,279|
|Bachelor of Nursing||24,378|
|Bachelor of Laws||28,154|
Similarly, tuition fees for a few popular PG courses are:
|Course||Tuition Fee (in USD)|
|Master of Arts||24,378|
|Master of Mathematical Sciences||28,841|
|Master of Engineering (Civil and Structural)||29,528|
|Master of Nursing Science||23,004|
|Master of Laws||29,184|
|Item||Cost (in USD)|
|Shared Accommodation (outside the city center)||93/week|
|Share Accommodation (within the city center)||178/week|
|House Setup Charges (groceries, linen, etc)||343|
Please note - Students who are opting for private accommodations need to deposit four to six weeks’ rent in advance.
|Name of Scholarship||Amount Awarded|
|Global Citizens Scholarship||Offers to reduce 15%-30% of the total tuition fee|
|Global Academic Excellence Scholarship||Up to 50% reduction of the total tuition fee|
|Higher Education Scholarship||25% reduction on the total tuition fee|
Please note - Enrolled students must have an IELTS score of 6.5 and a minimum GPA of 6.7 and above to be eligible for the scholarships. Furthermore, the scholarships will be awarded to the eligible candidates and no separate application form is required.
*ATAR: Australian Tertiary Admission Rank or The ATAR is a ranking of high school (year 12) results that measure your overall academic achievement compared with all other final year students in Australia (excluding Queensland).
Work While you Study
The Univesity of Adelaide provides an option to work a part-time job while studying. A few things that every student should keep in mind while working here:
- The student’s academic performance should not be affected by the extra workload
- Student visa conditions that surround the work-study program, should not be overlooked
- The student should be treated fairly and legally by their employer(s)
How many hours can you work for?
Coursework students are allowed to work 20 hours per week or 40 hours per fortnight. This limit could be exceeded during the official university breaks.
How much would you be paid?
Most pay rates and working conditions are awarded according to the State and FederalAwards.
What would you require to start working?
Interested students need to obtain a tax file number and provide the same to their employer.
Also, it is always advised to check with the work rights information maintained by the Department of Home Affairs.