The University of Melbourne, Australia’s second-oldest university has been ranked number 1 in Australia. The University has also been recognized globally, for its academic and graduate employability reputation. More than 16 subjects that are ranked number 1 in Australia, and are in the top 50 worldwide, are offered at the University of Melbourne.
|University Type||Public University|
|No. of Campuses||2|
|No, of Residential Colleges||10|
|Graduate Job Rate||84.6% (full time)|
|Research Funding||AUD 491 million|
|Endowment||AUD 62.1 million|
|Cost of Attendance||AUD 40,000-50,000 (annually)|
|Intake Type||Semester wise|
|Mode of Program||Full time and online|
Programs, Campus and Residence
- 31 undergraduate, 200 masters and 31 doctoral degree programs are offered at the University of Melbourne under 12 areas of study. The University’s number 1 ranked subjects in Australia, and the top 50 worldwide are Anatomy, Law, Education, Business, Computer Science, etc.
- On-campus, the University of Melbourne offers residential facilities for international students. There are 10 residential colleges on-campus. Along with off-campus accommodation for students.
University of Melbourne Admission Process
- Application Form: International students can apply online, offline or through their country-specific agents. The students belonging to Australia and/or pursuing an International Baccalaureate Diploma can apply through the VTAC Application.
- Common requirements: Transcripts, Higher Secondary Certificate and, work experience with a bachelor’s degree/diploma (for PG).
- Application fee: AUD 100
- Additional requirements: Copy of passport, financial statement, identity declaration, and accommodation declaration. There may be an interview for Performing and Visual Arts applicants.
- Application deadlines: Semester 1: late December; Semester 2: 31 May.
- The following table shows the required score for each exam:
|IELTS||6.5 and above|
Cost of Attendance
|Department Name||Cost of Tuition|
|Agriculture, Engineering, Sciences, and Veterinary Sciences||AUD 41,728 - AUD 67,368|
|Business and Economics||AUD 42,728|
|Health and Medical Sciences||AUD 41,504 - AUD 91,092|
|Humanities, Social Sciences, and Languages||AUD 32,512|
|Music, Visual and Performing Arts||AUD 28,928 – AUD 56,224|
International students are offered various scholarships by the University of Melbourne. There are around 176 scholarships that are offered to students. Some of them are:
- Human Rights Scholarship- AUD 94,200 awarded to 2 students,
- Newman College Rector's Exhibitions- for 50 students.
- Global Graduate Merit Scholarship- for students, a 25%-50% tuition fee waivered.
The University of Melbourne has a network of 385,000 alumni globally. It offers benefits like career development resources, discounted membership for events, access to library/E-Journals/Coursera courses, 25% discount on Melbourne University Publishing, 10% off on fee for Chinese classes, etc.
University enrolled over 52,000 students in the year 2017. 51% of students were enrolled in undergraduate programs while the rest 49% were enrolled in graduate programs. Business and Economics programs had a maximum enrollment of 9,091 students. University has 56% of the female student population.
- Students can apply through the official website for a wide range of undergraduate, graduate and doctorate degree programs.
- TOEFL and IELTS are accepted as proof of English proficiency.
- The University of Melbourne invites applications twice a year during the summer and winter season.
|Application Portal||University Application Portal|
|Application Fee||AUD 100|
|Payment Mode||Credit Card|
|Intake Seasons||Summer, Winter|
|Financial Aid||Grants, loans, scholarships|
University of Melbourne Admission Deadlines
The applicants are advised to apply before given deadlines to be considered for admission:
|Undergraduate Program Applicants|
|Semester 1||Late December|
|Semester 2||31st May|
|Graduate Program Applicants|
|Start-year entry||31st October|
|Mid-year entry||30th April|
University of Melbourne International Admission
As of December 2017, over 20,000 International students were enrolled in the University of Melbourne which is 40% of the total student population. International student enrolment also increased from over 17,000 in 2016 to over 20,000 in 2017.
International Student Admission Requirements
- Copy of all previous academic results
- Official translation of documents written in a language other than English.
- IELTS or TOEFL scores as proof of English proficiency.
English Proficiency Test Score for International Students
International applicants can submit the TOEFL and/or IELTS scores to demonstrate English proficiency. The minimum required scores by the university are given below:
|Test||Minimum Score Required|
|Graduate||Varies with Program|
Visa requirements for international Students
Before applying for the visa, students must ensure that they have received an offer of study, submitted their Student acceptance and payment agreement and received a Confirmation of Enrollment.
Some of the documents required for applying the visa are:
- Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE)
- Evidence of Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)
- Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) statement
- Evidence of English language proficiency
- Evidence of funds.
For more details, students are advised to visit the student visa section of the official website of the University.
University of Melbourne Undergraduate Admissions
The University of Melbourne offers a wide range of undergraduate courses to all the applicants. The basic admission process for all the courses is the same.
Where to Apply: University Application Portal
Application Fee: AU$100
- Official transcript with details of all the grades/marks obtained
- English translation of Official transcripts
University of Melbourne Graduate Admissions
The University of Melbourne provides more than 340 graduate programs to the students. There may be slight variations in the individual requirements for each program, but the overall process of admission is the same.
Where to Apply: Course-Specific University’s Portal
Application Fee: AUD 100
- An Undergraduate degree from an accredited college/university
- Academic documents of the previous course of study
- Interviews, portfolios and supplementary tests as per the course requirements
Requirements for some of the master’s program are as follows:
|Course||Application Portal||Academic Requirements||Minimum English Language Proficiency|
|Master of Business Administration||MBA Application Portal.||680 or above GMAT score, two years of work experience, Personal Statement, two references,||IELTS: 7.0;|
TOEFL (pBT): 600-603;
TOEFL (iBT): 102
|Master of Engineering (Civil) or (Civil with Business)||Course Application Portal||WAM of 65%+||IELTS: 6.5;|
TOEFL (pBT): 577;
TOEFL (iBT): 79
|Master of Computer Science||Course Application Portal||Major in computer science, WAM of 75%+, Mathematics or Statistics||IELTS: 6.5|
TOEFL (iBT): 80;
TOEFL (cBT): 213;
TOEFL (pBT): 550
|Master of Information Technology||Course Application Portal||1 technical computer programming subject, WAM of 65%+||IELTS: 6.5;|
TOEFL (pBT): 577;
TOEFL (iBT): 79
|Master of Science (BioSciences)||Course Application Portal||Major in biomedicine, computational biology, ecology, evolutionary biology, environmental science,|
genetics, physiology, plant science, veterinary science or zoology, WAM of 65%+, endorsement by a prospective supervisor
TOEFL (pBT): 577;
TOEFL (iBT): 79
Ranked as the best Australian University, The University of Melbourne is a great destination to study abroad. It has a huge number of international students from 130 different countries, contributing to the diversity within the campus.
With a fairly good acceptance rate, it is easy to secure admission at the University of Melbourne, provided you have an excellent academic record and a thirst for knowledge. Students are advised to keep a track of the deadlines for admission and are also required to fulfill the eligibility for the visa within the stipulated period of time.