The University of Queensland (UQ) is one of the finest public universities in Australia. It is a famous research institution that is situated in Brisbane. The University was founded in 1909 by the state parliament. It is one of the 5th oldest universities in Australia. It has campuses in other locations namely, St. Lucia, Gatton, Herston, etc. The institution has been ranked consistently in the top 50 universities of the world, for its performance and scientific papers.
The University of Queensland is popularly known for its masters and Ph.D. degrees due to it’s widely accepted research and best amenities for the same. It is one of the universities which joined edX in 2013 solely to open online courses alongside Harvard University and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Queensland offers more than 550+ programs in all level programs including Undergraduate, Postgraduate, and Ph.D.
Few of the top programs the University offers are, Business Management, Environmental Science, Nursing, Psychology, Hospitality, and Medical Science.
|University Type||Public Research University|
|Total Number of Students||39,144 (US News)|
|Number of International Students||13,436|
|Funding||375.56 M USD|
|Cost of Attendance (Annually)||40,240 AUD (Approximate)|
|Applications Accepted||Official website/QTAC|
|Intake Sessions||Fall and Spring|
|Mode of Program||Full time, part-time, distance and online|
Programs Offered at Queensland University
More than 550+ undergraduate and graduate degree programs are offered at the University of Queensland under 10 areas of study. Few of the popular programs ranked by QS and US News are as follows:
- Bachelors in Advanced Business - Rank #16
- Bachelor in Agribusiness - Rank #16
- Bachelor of Biomedical Science - Rank #47
- Bachelor of International Studies/Journalism/Laws - Rank #16
- Masters of Advanced Economics - Rank #16
- Master of Agribusiness - Rank #24
- Master of Animal and Plant Science - Rank #27
- Master in Business Management - Rank #24 & #37
Campus and Accommodation
- The University of Queensland has its main campus in St. Lucia in Brisbane.
- On-campus, the University of Queensland offers residential facilities for international students. There are 10 residential colleges and off-campus accommodation for students as well.
- The University offers a warm-cultural exchange via its common spots that are accessible for all students.
- UQ library, Food Corner, Bank and Post office, Healthcare Service, Security Officers, and Shopping Centers make the stay more worthy.
University of Queensland Admission Process
|What documents are required?||Transcripts, statement of purpose, Higher Secondary Certificate and bachelor’s degree/diploma|
|Are there any additional requirements?||Cover Letter, CV, copy of passport, health examination and identity declaration; personal and financial statements.|
|What is the application fee?||100 AUD (68 USD)|
|Minimum GPA Required (out of 7 scales)||4.0|
|Test Scorecard accepted for Admission||TOEFL/IELTS, SAT/ACT, GMAT|
|Where to apply?||University Website & QTAC Portal|
- Application: Students can apply through the online application for admission. The students belonging to Australia and/or pursuing an International Baccalaureate Diploma can apply through QTAC Application.
- There are two semesters for admission, deadlines for Semester 1: 30 November; Semester 2: 31 May.
- The tests required to study in Australia are TOEFL and IELTS. The scorecard must be valid for two years, hence students must acquaint themselves with the university timeline, and apply for admission accordingly.
- The following table shows the required score for each exam:
|GMAT (for PG)||550|
|IELTS||6.5 overall (minimum 6 in each sub-band)|
Cost of Attendance
|Expenses||Cost per year|
|Dorm/Apartment (with meals)||10,300 USD|
|Meals (if excluded)||3,320 USD|
|Books and Supplies||8,480 USD|
|Total (excluding tuition fee)||28,800 USD (approximately)|
- The University of Queensland offers 11 House/Halls for on-campus accommodation namely, Cromwell College, Duchesne College, Emmanuel College, Grace College, Halls of Residence, International House, King’s College, St. John’s College, St. Leo’s College, The Women’s College, and Union College.
- Each accommodation includes 21 meals per week, tutorial support, access to UQ sports and gym facilities.
- Every student has an option to opt for a private room, suite or common room. Facilities naturally vary with the type of accommodation opted.
- The basic GPA required for accommodation is 5 out of 7 scores.
|Programs||Duration in Years||Annual Tuition Fee|
|Business Management||1.5 to 2||42,272 AUD|
- GPA is a basic requirement for admission, after which the language proficiency test like IELTS and TOEFL are required.
Financial Aids and Scholarships
International students are offered in house support by the University for applying for aid. Students are also offered scholarships like:
- Few of the Popular Scholarships granted by the University for International Students are:
|Scholarship Name||Program||Department||Opening Date||Scholarship Value|
|Australia Award Scholarship||All Levels||All Study Areas||Apply Anytime||Full-tuition, a living stipend, travel allowance, etc.|
|MBA Student Scholarship||Postgraduate||Business and Economics||1 February 2020||25% tuition-fee waiver|
|Indian Global Leaders Scholarship||Undergraduate and Postgraduate||Business, Economics, Law||May-August||$5000 to $20,000 (AUD)|
|D.P Singhal Visiting Scholarship||All Levels||Arts, Humanities and Social Science||Apply Anytime||Annual Income from Endowment|
|Science International Scholarship||Undergraduate and Postgraduate Level||Agriculture, Science, and Mathematics||16 January 2020||$3,000 AUD|
|EAIT International Award||Undergraduate||Architecture Planning, Engineering, and Computing||Last week of August||$10,000 AUD|
|Destination Australia Scholarship||All Levels||Agriculture and Environment||The first week of December||Up to $15,000 AUD (per year)|
|Pharmaceutical Industry Practice Scholarship||Postgraduate||Health and Behavioural Science||Beginning of August||$5,000 to $10,000 AUD|
|Conservation Biology Scholarship||Postgraduate||Agriculture and Environment, Science and Mathematics||November||Up to $10,000 AUD|
|Law Scholarship||Undergraduates & Postgraduate||Law (only)||October-November||25% or 50% of the fee of the degree program|
- Global Leaders Scholarship, awarded to citizens of India, Malaysia, Vietnam, Indonesia, Hong Kong, Singapore, etc.
- UQ Economics Scholarships, awarded to citizens of India, Malaysia, Vietnam, and Sri Lanka.
There are three primary sources of financial assistance for international students: the University of Queensland, the government of Australia, and the student’s home government. All international candidates are suggested to apply for scholarships by the deadlines.
The University of Queensland accepts applications for two semesters. The university has a total enrollment of 53,696 students, out of which 35,076 are UG students and 18,620 are PG students.
The university offers courses in the field of Agriculture & Environment, Engineering and Computing, Law, Medicine, Education, Business & Economics and Health Sciences.
The programs having the maximum enrollment are Doctor of Philosophy, Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Engineering (Honours).
- The application can be filled through the official University website/QTAC application.
- The applicant should find the undergraduate program they want to study and ensure to meet all entry requirements.
- The university can consider applications up to two years in advance, so it is recommended to apply early.
- English proficiency requirements vary from program to program. It is advisable to check the requirements before applying.
|Application portal||Official University Website|
|Application Fee||AUD 100 for online/ AUD 150 for hard copy requirement|
|Intake Seasons||2 Semesters|
|Institutional code (for TOEFL)||0987|
|Graduate Job Rate||78.2%|
|English proficiency requirements||TOEFL, IELTS|
University of Queensland Admission Deadlines
The general deadlines for UG admissions are given below. The deadlines for PG courses vary from program to program.
|Semester 1||30 November of the previous year|
|Semester 2||31st May of the same year|
University of Queensland Undergraduate Admissions
The University of Queensland has a vast International student body. The university has 18,074 international students coming from 134 countries. To apply for admission, the applicant has to fulfill the following requirements -
- Certified copies of secondary school transcripts or mark sheets are required.
- Original copies should not be submitted as they would not be returned.
- All documents are required to be submitted in English.
- Results of final secondary school examination (school leaving certificate).
- Copy of passport/National ID
- Proof of English Language Proficiency
English Proficiency Test Score Requirements
The minimum English proficiency test scores are given below. However, the requirements vary from program to program. Click here to check the requirements.
|Test||Minimum required score|
|IELTS||6.5 overall and 6.0 in subbands|
Visa Process for International Students
- International applicants have to apply for their visa online through the Department of Home Affairs online Application system.
- Students can also take the help of a UQ agent in their home country.
- Students need to meet the General Temporary Entrant requirement/GTE.
- A personal statement addressing the GTE is required to be submitted.
- Applicants need to provide the following documents for GTE:
- Copy of passport
- High school transcripts/certificates
- Proof of financial support/previous employment details
- Bank statements
- Students can apply for a student visa as soon as they get a Confirmation for Enrolment by the UQ.
- To submit the visa application, students will also require the Overseas Student Health Cover/ OSHC.
University of Queensland Graduate Admissions
The University of Queensland offers a diverse range of PG courses in the field of Engineering, Economics, International relations, Molecular Biology, Music, Nursing and Pharmacy.
Some programs also offer flexible entry pathways whereas some programs have a quota, getting selected into these programs is highly competitive. Package offers are also offered to students who are not able to meet minimum requirements for English Proficiency Tests, these involve English study at UQ-ICTE and a conditional offer to a UQ program.
Where to Apply: Official university website/ QTAC
Application Fee: AUD 100
Admission Requirements: Applicants must provide the following documents at the time of admission:
- Previous degree or qualification
- Minimum grade point average/ GPA
- GMAT (Postgraduate courses)
- English language proficiency requirements
- Other program-specific requirements
Some popular graduate courses are listed here -
|Course||Academic Requirements||Minimum English Language Proficiency|
|Master of Computer Science||High school transcripts, High school results, undergraduate transcripts,|
GPA equivalent of 5.0 on 7.0 scale
IELTS: 6.5 or above Pearsons- 64
|Master of Engineering||High school transcripts, High school results, undergraduate transcripts,|
Degree equivalent to Engineering TOEFL/IELTS score, GPA equivalent of 5.0 on 7.0 scale
IELTS: 6.5 or above Pearsons- 64
|Master of Advanced Economics||High school transcripts, High school results, undergraduate transcripts||TOEFL-iBT: 87;|
IELTS: 6.5 or above Pearsons- 64
|Master of Business Administration||High school transcripts, High school results, undergraduate transcripts GMAT-550||TOEFL-iBT: 87;|
IELTS: 6.5 or above Pearsons- 64
|Master of Clinical Psychology||High school transcripts, High school results, undergraduate transcripts/ qualifications assessed by APS||TOEFL-iBT: 100;|
IELTS: 7 or above Pearsons- 72
Applications can be tracked using My Applications portal. For inquiries about the status of the application, email [email protected] and include full name, date of birth and student number (if known).