The West Bengal University of Animal and Fishery Sciences was set up as a public rural university to meet the long standing demand of the people to have a university dedicated to teaching skills pertaining to the rural areas. The university was set up on 2nd January, 1995.
- The university was set up by an Act of the legislative council of the West Bengal government.
- When the university was set up it came under the purview of the Calcutta University, this was until 1974. Following this the university came under the Bidhan Chandra Krsihi Vishwavidyala until it became a university by itself.
- The chancellor of the university is the governor of West Bengal and the vice chancellor is Mr. C.S. Chakrabarti.
- The university is affiliated to nation bodies like UGC (University Grants Commission).
- The university has 19 departments under the Veterinary ad Animal sciences section; it has 4 departments under the Dairy Technology section and 8 departments under the fishery department.
- The university offers a total of 42 degrees courses (including under graduate, post graduate and PHD courses)
The faculty of the colleges mainly divided into 3 sections, namely, Faculty of Veterinary & Animal Sciences, secondly, Faculty of dairy technology and Thirdly, Faculty of Fishery Sciences. During this period the University has been recognized as one of the leading institutions of the country to uplift the socio-economic status of farmers.
Laboratories, sophisticated equipment, guest houses, seminar halls, auditoriums are some common facilities available at the university campus. The facility offered by the university can be ranked among some of the best facilities in West Bengal both for students’ and faculty members.
- The university has divided the hostel system mainly on the basis of gender.
- There are also specific hostels for post graduate students.
- The girl’s hostel of the university is at Belgachia, Kolkata.
- Both the boys and girls hostel are equipped with Color TV, hot and cold water facility, comfortable rooms and telephone for the use of all students.
The university has first aid kits, nurses and a doctor on call at all times, in case of medical emergencies.
The university has been recognised by various national accreditation bodies like NAAC (National Assessment and Accreditation Council) and UGC (university Grants Commission).
The university has often been ranked among the best animal and fishery sciences university in the country. The university offers some very hefty endowments to students coming from lesser privileged families. The university only grants scholarships to those students that are excellent in their respective fields, thus merit is the only assurance of a scholarship .The different kinds of Scholarships given by the university are:
- Prof DB Mukherjee Gold Medal
- First Batch(1953) B.V.Sc Students' Gold Medal
- Charu Chandra Kolwy Gold Medal
- Dr. D. K. Biswas Gold Medal
The university takes part in many different inter-university and college competitions both at the national and state level. Some of the sports in which the university has participated in and excelled at are:
- Indoor sports
- Educational tour
- In-Plant Training
- Block Training