Western Sydney University, is one of the public universities in Australia. It is globally recognized due to its research and smart teaching facilities. The University was established in 1988 under the Western Sydney Act of 1988 that was passed by the New South Wales Parliament. It is located in Penrith and has a total number of 6 campuses.
- WSU has been ranked among the top 2% universities in the world while it is also running on 11th positing as the top university with impact (According to Times Higher Education).
- The National ranking of WSU is 21 whereas it also stands on 25th position in terms of Regional research reputation. (Data by US News)
- It ranks in 58th position in terms of young university rankings (2019).
- The university managed to secure 1st position for the global outlook and academic excellence.
- On November 22, 2019, All India Institute of Ayurveda (AIIA) signed up MoU with Western Sydney University to Promote Ayurveda and research on the principles of medicine.
Western Sydney offers a diploma in Undergraduate, Graduate and Doctorate degrees with the availability of 11 schools. The Schools having the most enrollments are School of Business, School of Computing, Engineering, and Mathematics; School of Education, School of Law, School of Communication and Arts, School of Medicine and Science. The University has a total number of 32,259 enrollments out of which 17% are International Students. The university has a student-faculty ratio of 35:1.
|Student Ratio (Female to Male)||55:45|
|Graduate Employability Rate||82.6%|
|No. of Courses||440+|
|International Student Percentage||17%|
|Cost of Attendance||39,740 AUD – 79,480 (annually)|
|Applications Accepted||Online via Website/Recommendation|
|Intake Session||Fall, Autumn, and Spring|
|Mode of Program||Full time and Part-time|
Western Sydney University Programs
Some of the top 100 globally ranked subjects(QS Rankings) offered at Western Sydney University are Civil Engineering, Business, Nursing, Agricultural Sciences, Ecology, Sociology, Education, Tourism, etc.
Popular Programs Offered at Western Sydney University & Eligibility
|Department Name||Tuition Fee (average per year)|
|Medicine||29,213 – 60,456 AUD|
|Computing, Engineering, and Mathematics||27,820– 29,809 AUD|
|Science and Health||24,158 – 29,213 AUD|
|Humanities and Communication Arts||23,680– 25,352 AUD|
|Nursing and Midwifery||27,500 – 34,376 AUD|
|Social Sciences and Psychology||23,714 – 27,089 AUD|
- The minimum GPA required for any program is 4 out of 7 Scale.
- It is additionally required to write a TOEFL or IELTS paper for admission at Western Sydney University.
Campus and Residence
- Western Sydney University has 6 campuses in cities of Parramatta, Bankstown, Hawkesbury, Lithgow, Nirimba, Sydney City, Liverpool, Campbelltown, Parramatta South, Penrith, and Sydney Olympic Park.
- The campuses provide basic facilities of library, IT support, labs, food hubs, health center, faith centers and much more.
- Western Sydney University offers on-campus accommodation to its students. They also suggest off-campus accommodation options as well.
- The university offers a wide range of on-campus accommodation, with a balanced living and learning environment.
- The cost of rooms starts from AUD$160 to $320 per week. While the accommodation is also available as Homestays with Australian families.
- Meal plans are not included but will be provided with an extra cost of $150 for 12 meals in a week.
Western Sydney University Admission Process
Admissions at Western Sydney University are very competitive and primarily based on academic merit. International Students must meet with the minimum academic eligibility discussed below. Students from India should have a minimum of 70% marks in the four core subjects opted for in 12th standard. Masters degree applicants must hold a bachelor's degree equivalent to an Australian degree.
|Common Document Requirements||Academic transcripts, award certificates, supplementary documents information (if required) along with degree/diploma- (for PG admissions|
|Supporting Documents||Personal identification document (e.g. passport), portfolio (required for particular courses), and visa details|
|Application Fee||No fee|
|Deadlines||Semester 1 - February; Semester 2- July|
|Application Submission||Online or via Agent|
|Helpline or Email||[email protected] ; + 61-29852 5499|
- All applications sent must be either via self-interest on the official website or via the recommendation of any agent.
- The admission is broadly accepted in 2 sessions; Fall and Autumn, however in a few programs, Spring intakes also take place. It is best to contact the advisory for adequate information.
- Research students:
- Research proposal/research topic
- Referee Reports if any required
- The following table shows English Proficiency Test score requirements for UG and PG admissions:
Cost of Attendance
Staying in Australia as an International Student can be a tough task in the beginning. Living Expenses per year can vary from 19,713 AUD – 24,878 AUD. With an additional tuition fee, the cost can be hiked up to 39,801 AUD to 40,796 AUD. If dependents(family members) accompany, then the cost can increase accordingly.
|Basic Expenses||Estimated cost per year|
|Tuition Fee||27,662 AUD (Approx)|
|Basic Supplies (Books, Meals, Groceries, Transport)||10,038 AUD|
Financial Aids and Scholarships
Western Sydney University offers around 32 scholarships, ranging from 5,019 AUD to 9,893 AUD. Scholarships offered to international students, are for both graduate and undergraduate degree courses.
Few of the Popular Scholarships are mentioned below
|Name of Scholarship||Value||Eligibility|
|Western Sydney International Scholarship (UG)||7,565 AUD(multi-year)||GPA 5.49 and above|
|Vice-Chancellor’s Academic Excellence Scholarship (PG)||50% of the cost of tuition fees for two-years||GPA of 5.95 and above|
|Western Sydney International Scholarship for PostGraduates||Up to 4,946 AUD to 7,565 AUD (multi-year)||GPA of 5.49 and above|
|Australia Award Scholarship||Full-tuition fee, travel allowance, establishment allowance, cost of living||Minimum 18 years, Not be an Australian resident, must have a student visa|
- No separate application is necessary. All applications are considered after the submission of the admission application.
- All the supporting documents must be provided for the easy grant.