Western Sydney University, is one of the public universities in Australia. It is globally recognized due to its research and smart teaching facilities. The University was established in 1988 under the Western Sydney Act of 1988 that was passed by the New South Wales Parliament. It is located in Penrith and has a total number of 6 campuses.
- WSU has been ranked among the top 2% universities in the world while it is also running on 11th positing as the top university with impact (According to Times Higher Education).
- The National ranking of WSU is 21 whereas it also stands on 25th position in terms of Regional research reputation. (Data by US News)
- It ranks in 58th position in terms of young university rankings (2019).
- The university managed to secure 1st position for the global outlook and academic excellence.
- On November 22, 2019, All India Institute of Ayurveda (AIIA) signed up MoU with Western Sydney University to Promote Ayurveda and research on the principles of medicine.
Western Sydney offers a diploma in Undergraduate, Graduate and Doctorate degrees with the availability of 11 schools. The Schools having the most enrollments are School of Business, School of Computing, Engineering, and Mathematics; School of Education, School of Law, School of Communication and Arts, School of Medicine and Science. The University has a total number of 32,259 enrollments out of which 17% are International Students. The university has a student-faculty ratio of 35:1.
|Student Ratio (Female to Male)||55:45|
|Graduate Employability Rate||82.6%|
|No. of Courses||440+|
|International Student Percentage||17%|
|Cost of Attendance||39,740 AUD – 79,480 (annually)|
|Applications Accepted||Online via Website/Recommendation|
|Intake Session||Fall, Autumn, and Spring|
|Mode of Program||Full time and Part-time|
Western Sydney University Programs
Some of the top 100 globally ranked subjects(QS Rankings) offered at Western Sydney University are Civil Engineering, Business, Nursing, Agricultural Sciences, Ecology, Sociology, Education, Tourism, etc.
Popular Programs Offered at Western Sydney University & Eligibility
|Department Name||Tuition Fee (average per year)|
|Medicine||29,213 – 60,456 AUD|
|Computing, Engineering, and Mathematics||27,820– 29,809 AUD|
|Science and Health||24,158 – 29,213 AUD|
|Humanities and Communication Arts||23,680– 25,352 AUD|
|Nursing and Midwifery||27,500 – 34,376 AUD|
|Social Sciences and Psychology||23,714 – 27,089 AUD|
- The minimum GPA required for any program is 4 out of 7 Scale.
- It is additionally required to write a TOEFL or IELTS paper for admission at Western Sydney University.
Campus and Residence
- Western Sydney University has 6 campuses in cities of Parramatta, Bankstown, Hawkesbury, Lithgow, Nirimba, Sydney City, Liverpool, Campbelltown, Parramatta South, Penrith, and Sydney Olympic Park.
- The campuses provide basic facilities of library, IT support, labs, food hubs, health center, faith centers and much more.
- Western Sydney University offers on-campus accommodation to its students. They also suggest off-campus accommodation options as well.
- The university offers a wide range of on-campus accommodation, with a balanced living and learning environment.
- The cost of rooms starts from AUD$160 to $320 per week. While the accommodation is also available as Homestays with Australian families.
- Meal plans are not included but will be provided with an extra cost of $150 for 12 meals in a week.
Western Sydney University Admission Process
Admissions at Western Sydney University are very competitive and primarily based on academic merit. International Students must meet with the minimum academic eligibility discussed below. Students from India should have a minimum of 70% marks in the four core subjects opted for in 12th standard. Masters degree applicants must hold a bachelor's degree equivalent to an Australian degree.
|Common Document Requirements||Academic transcripts, award certificates, supplementary documents information (if required) along with degree/diploma- (for PG admissions|
|Supporting Documents||Personal identification document (e.g. passport), portfolio (required for particular courses), and visa details|
|Application Fee||No fee|
|Deadlines||Semester 1 - February; Semester 2- July|
|Application Submission||Online or via Agent|
|Helpline or Email||[email protected] ; + 61-29852 5499|
- All applications sent must be either via self-interest on the official website or via the recommendation of any agent.
- The admission is broadly accepted in 2 sessions; Fall and Autumn, however in a few programs, Spring intakes also take place. It is best to contact the advisory for adequate information.
- Research students:
- Research proposal/research topic
- Referee Reports if any required
- The following table shows English Proficiency Test score requirements for UG and PG admissions:
Cost of Attendance
Staying in Australia as an International Student can be a tough task in the beginning. Living Expenses per year can vary from 19,713 AUD – 24,878 AUD. With an additional tuition fee, the cost can be hiked up to 39,801 AUD to 40,796 AUD. If dependents(family members) accompany, then the cost can increase accordingly.
|Basic Expenses||Estimated cost per year|
|Tuition Fee||27,662 AUD (Approx)|
|Basic Supplies (Books, Meals, Groceries, Transport)||10,038 AUD|
Financial Aids and Scholarships
Western Sydney University offers around 32 scholarships, ranging from 5,019 AUD to 9,893 AUD. Scholarships offered to international students, are for both graduate and undergraduate degree courses.
Few of the Popular Scholarships are mentioned below
|Name of Scholarship||Value||Eligibility|
|Western Sydney International Scholarship (UG)||7,565 AUD(multi-year)||GPA 5.49 and above|
|Vice-Chancellor’s Academic Excellence Scholarship (PG)||50% of the cost of tuition fees for two-years||GPA of 5.95 and above|
|Western Sydney International Scholarship for PostGraduates||Up to 4,946 AUD to 7,565 AUD (multi-year)||GPA of 5.49 and above|
|Australia Award Scholarship||Full-tuition fee, travel allowance, establishment allowance, cost of living||Minimum 18 years, Not be an Australian resident, must have a student visa|
- No separate application is necessary. All applications are considered after the submission of the admission application.
- All the supporting documents must be provided for the easy grant.
Western Sydney University is home to more than 5000 international students. The university offers 46 undergraduate and 55 graduate programs under its nine schools of study. Application for admission to any program is accepted online.
Admissions at Western Sydney University are invited in the Autumn (February/March) and Spring (July/August) season. Applicants, especially international, are advised to submit their admission applications well before the deadlines set by the university.
- The university has a separate admission portal for domestic and international applicants.
- Admission requirements for UG level programs are country-specific.
- Prospective applicants applying for graduate programs must have suitable work experience.
|Application Portal||International Online Application System|
|Work Experience||Required for graduate programs|
|Financial Aid||Scholarships, Work-Study|
Western Sydney University Admission Deadlines
International students who want to apply for a program at Western Sydney University must apply before the deadlines issued by the university. The deadlines given below are specific to each session. Candidates must ensure which session they want to join in and apply accordingly.
|Autumn Session (February/March)||November 15th|
|Spring Session (July/August)||May 15th|
English Proficiency Test Score for International Students
International applicants must submit an English Proficiency test score to prove their command over the language. The minimum test score requirement could differ for departments, but the general requirement is listed below:
|Test Name||Minimum Score Requirement|
6.0 in each subset
Reading & Listening: 13
Western Sydney University Undergraduate Admissions
Western Sydney University provides a wide range of undergraduate degree and diploma programs. Before applying, applicants are advised to check the complete application process and admission requirements.
Application Portal: Online Application
Application Fee: No Fee
Admission Requirements: For the UG programs, the university has particular academic requirements that vary from country to country. Applicants are advised to check the country-specific requirements of a few nations in the table below:
|Country Name||Academic Requirements|
|India||High school leaving certificate; Minimum 70% in best 4 subjects|
|Japan||Completion of Kotogakko Sotsugyo Shosho with a GPA of 4 out of 5|
|Pakistan||High school/intermediate certificate; Overall average 80% or first division|
|China||Completion of three years (Gao San) with an overall 80|
Western Sydney University Graduate Admissions
The university offers a wide range of graduate programs in academic areas like business, arts, science, etc. Some of the popular programs offered at Western Sydney University are MBA, Master of Applied Finance, and Master of Nursing.
Application Portal: Online Application
Application Fee: No Fee
Admission Requirements: Applicants must note that the admission requirements for a majority fo graduate programs are similar.
- Bachelors degree in the relevant area
- Copies of UG transcripts
- English proficiency test score
- Recommendation letters
- Statement of purpose
- 2+ years of work experience
Visa Requirements for International Applicants
International applicants are required to apply for a student visa to Australia after receiving a Confirmation of Enrolment(COE). To obtain the required visa, applicants must provide the following documents:
- Copies of passport, birth certificate, national identity cards, etc.
- Obtain an Overseas Student Health Cover(OSHC) to be eligible for visa approval.
- Statement in their application form that they intend to stay in Australia temporarily and should be able to provide documentation for the same.
- Applicants with employment history are required to provide details for the same
- Research students are required to provide a copy of the topic of their research and a Resume.
- Students can visit the International Student Support Service Website for more information.
- Contact the Australian Embassy regarding any visa-related queries.
Once the applicants have submitted their admission application, they will receive an Offer of Admission. The document will include the details of the applied course like program duration, fees, etc.
Presently, Western Sydney University does not have any fixed timeframe for admission decisions. Applicants will be informed about the decision on their application via email. However, each applicant is encouraged to keep track of their application and stay in contact with the university officials.